I think my chick is dying! URGENT!

I wanted to add that virtually all animals in contact with soil can have the protozoa coccidia in their intestines. That includes dogs, cats, sheep, goats, cows, etc.. So any vet should be able to read a fecal sample for it. Some won't without seeing 'the patient' but as was said, large animal vets are usually more accommodating.
There are many species of coccidia and not all affect all species of animals. There are 9 species that affect chickens. Some, like eimeria tenella and necatrix affect the animals rapidly and cause high death rates. With mild exposure, chickens become resistant.
Corid is corid, regardless of the animal, you just have to observe the concentration to come up with dosing. Corid is amprolium and amprolium is usually the drug in medicated feed. It is recommended to discontinue medicated feed if also dosing with corid because the birds could be overdosed.
It is important not to give vitamins while dosing because that can limit the effectiveness of the amprolium. However AFTER dosing is complete, vitamin therapy, especially B-complex is helpful.

I have already contacted the hatchery and they are refunding me. I forgot to take pictures of the poop before I changed the paper towels. I have not started the corid yet, because I don't think I'm going to. I believe it is just intestinal lining shedding at this point. I will definitely start it. The poop was orangie red. It was not foamy, it was solid.

Back
Top Bottom