I think my chick is dying! URGENT!

It could be campylobacter jejuni , whatever it is came from the hatchery. This also has a blood thin stool.

No, she said it was probably just intestinal lining shedding.
In all the years I have raised shipped chicks, I have never - ever - had chicks “shed intestinal lining”. I have never had them die from bloody poop either. I do feed medicated chick starter and have never lost one to coccidiosis. I am concerned that the remaining chicks are passing orange colored feces. I would wonder if it’s small amounts of blood, indicating the start of round two. I don’t think giving them Corid as a preventative would hurt them. Hopefully someone with more experience in medicating chickens would correct me if I’m wrong.

In all the years I have raised shipped chicks, I have never - ever - had chicks “shed intestinal lining”. I have never had them die from bloody poop either. I do feed medicated chick starter and have never lost one to coccidiosis. I am concerned that the remaining chicks are passing orange colored feces. I would wonder if it’s small amounts of blood, indicating the start of round two. I don’t think giving them Corid as a preventative would hurt them. Hopefully someone with more experience in medicating chickens would correct me if I’m wrong.
You are 100% correct.

:goodpost:

Corid isn't an antibiotic or similar drug. It is just a thiamine blocker, or more accurately, it simulates thiamine, thereby starving the protozoa. It won't hurt at all to start them on it. Coccidiosis can do considerable damage to the intestinal tract if not treated early.
After raising perhaps a couple thousand chicks, I don't recall anything like shed intestinal lining either.
I've only used medicated feed twice. Once on accident and once on purpose.
For years, my chicks have been getting Gro2Max probiotic powder in their first water and bedding kept bone dry and only one instance of cocciciosis and that was before my current regimen. I also haven't had chicks with pasted vent either.

Back
Top Bottom