I think my chicken has a prolapsed vent

FIZBIT

Songster
May 9, 2018
OLYMPIA, WA
1)What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
4 year old wyandotte. No she is at good weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. She is acting normal doing normal things for her.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 days since I noticed pooh all over her feathers

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing that I noticed

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer pellets some scratch grains, and free range on 3 acres along with veggies and fruit. And access to oyster shells and water with a bit of ACV added.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I soaked her in water and betadine and clipped her feathers away. But giving her a break before I soak her again to removed the tuffer pooh off.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat myself if possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.

I use pine shavings with a hard dirt floor. I spot clean every other day and deep clean once a week. They free range 3 acres from 7:30 am till dark.

I currently have her in a large tote in my house with a towel so shanvings don't stick to her bottom with food ( crumble, yogurt and cucumbers and water. Covering it with a towel to keep her calm.

Attachments

• 20200731_120844.jpg
    20200731_120844.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200731_120910.jpg
    20200731_120910.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 8
Clean it well. Do you have any hydrocortisone? If not, you might want to get some. That will cause it to retract back in. Until them, keep it moist. The biggest problem with prolapsed vent is other chickens pulling at it, so definitely keep her isolated until she heals.

Clean it well. Do you have any hydrocortisone? If not, you might want to get some. That will cause it to retract back in. Until them, keep it moist. The biggest problem with prolapsed vent is other chickens pulling at it, so definitely keep her isolated until she heals.

I will soak her again in a few. I will have to go get some. I looked for it everywhere. Will it be ok to use vaseline in the meantime to keep it moist till I run to the store?

I will keep her seperated from the other chickens. I would put her in the baby coop. But there are babies currently in it. And I dont want her picking on those little guys.

I will soak her again in a few. I will have to go get some. I looked for it everywhere. Will it be ok to use vaseline in the meantime to keep it moist till I run to the store?

I will keep her seperated from the other chickens. I would put her in the baby coop. But there are babies currently in it. And I dont want her picking on those little guys.
If you have a dog crate, that'd work great. But even two milk crates will do in a pinch. Yes, Vaseline is good for keeping it moist. You may also want to put some Neosporin on it.

If you have a dog crate, that'd work great. But even two milk crates will do in a pinch. Yes, Vaseline is good for keeping it moist. You may also want to put some Neosporin on it.

I have her in a large plastic tote that I use for my chick brooder. It has a chicken wire top and screen on 1 side. She has enogh room to stand up and move and turn. And room for her water and food. Then I put her in our bathroom that has a seperate washroom from the toilet and shower. I Have both doors closed. So it's quiet for her. I have neosporin so after I soak her I will put that on her also. Thank you for your help.

I have her in a large plastic tote that I use for my chick brooder. It has a chicken wire top and screen on 1 side. She has enogh room to stand up and move and turn. And room for her water and food. Then I put her in our bathroom that has a seperate washroom from the toilet and shower. I Have both doors closed. So it's quiet for her. I have neosporin so after I soak her I will put that on her also. Thank you for your help.
That setup sounds great. You're welcome!

Back
Top Bottom