I think my chickens have cholera, HELP PLEASE

Then you are right to decide to treat with an antibiotic. Even though fish mox is marketed for fish aquariums, to treat chickens with it, you need to divide the capsule in half and give 250mg directly into their beaks to each chicken once a day for ten days.

Have you looked inside the mouths of your chickens? If there is a yellow substance in there, it may point to a different disease. But go ahead and start the antibiotic. Meanwhile, some photos would be helpful to us who are trying to help you.
Thank you. Do I use a dropper or what do I need for the meds? Do I put it in a little warm water to dissolve. If you could tell me i would appreciate it so much.

If the 500mg amoxy come in a solid tablet, cut it in half and pop it directly into the beak. Pry the beak open by pulling down on the wattles, and then just slip the half pill in.

If the 500mg comes in a capsule with loose powder, open it up and dump out the content. Divide in half. Roll the powder into a pea size dab of coconut oil until all the powder is clinging to the oil, chill in the fridge until it's solid then put directly into the beak as described above.

It's important to get every grain of the amoxicillin into the chicken. 250mg per day for a full ten days.

If the 500mg amoxy come in a solid tablet, cut it in half and pop it directly into the beak. Pry the beak open by pulling down on the wattles, and then just slip the half pill in.

If the 500mg comes in a capsule with loose powder, open it up and dump out the content. Divide in half. Roll the powder into a pea size dab of coconut oil until all the powder is clinging to the oil, chill in the fridge until it's solid then put directly into the beak as described above.

It's important to get every grain of the amoxicillin into the chicken. 250mg per day for a full ten days.
Thank you so much your a life saver. I will do this right now. Thank you🙏

Antibiotics should not be used unless you know more about what might be the problem. Do your remaining chickens have any symptoms? Amoxicillin is not the right choice for fowl cholera or respiratory diseases or awelling due to respiratory diseases. Without pictures it is just a wild guess. Fowl chlolera is usally treated with sulfa drugs, such as bactrim, sulfadimethoxine, or similar. Respiratory diseases if caused by MG, can be treated with tylosin and a few others. Coryza is treated with a combination sulfa and tylosin. If you lose another, please keep the body cold and contact your state vet for a necropsy. Sorry for your loss. In NC, you have a choice of where to send a body for necropsy, and the list here gives contact info:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Antibiotics should not be used unless you know more about what might be the problem. Do your remaining chickens have any symptoms? Amoxicillin is not the right choice for fowl cholera or respiratory diseases or awelling due to respiratory diseases. Without pictures it is just a wild guess. Fowl chlolera is usally treated with sulfa drugs, such as bactrim, sulfadimethoxine, or similar. Respiratory diseases if caused by MG, can be treated with tylosin and a few others. Coryza is treated with a combination sulfa and tylosin. If you lose another, please keep the body cold and contact your state vet for a necropsy. Sorry for your loss. In NC, you have a choice of where to send a body for necropsy, and the list here gives contact info:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Would you be able to let me know where I could get those medications please. I did treat my birds with the 250mg of Amoxi that is the only thing I have. I don't know where to get the other meds. If ypu could please let me know. I would appreciate this so much. Thank you

I suggest that you cull the sickest one and send it off for a necropsy to be done. Most respiratory diseases are a lifelong permanent thing and you may lose most or all your birds without proper testing. Antibiotics aren’t always effective and could cause more harm.

Are you seeing any signs of illness in your other birds? It would probably cost less to get a necropsy by the state vet in NC than it would to buy the antibiotics. That way, you would know what killed a sick bird. If they have no symptoms, there is no reason to treat them. Jedds.com sells tylosin to put in the water. Here is where to find sulfadimethoxine:
https://globalpigeonsupply.com/collections/cocci/products/sulfadimethoxine-12-5-powder

Good Morning everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I know now what my chickens have
Fowl Pox. I wont be able to treat it with Antibiotics, since it is a Virus. But I was told to give them vitamins (baby vitamins) and boil eggs and cut them up . Thats for protein. So,, I will be going to pick up the stuff at Walmart this morning and start the chickens on that. I will let y'all know if it works. Please keep your fingers crossed. Thank you again for helping me.

Back
Top Bottom