I think my chicks are pecking at their sister

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TinyLittleFarm, Oct 1, 2010.

1. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    One of four babies who are about 2.5 weeks has a bald spot on her head about 1 cm. in diameter. I was spending some quality time with this chick just a couple hours ago and her head was fine, so it must have happened recently. These chicks were hatched together, nothing in their living situation/feed/etc. has changed and all are healthy.

The bald spot is just bald. It's not red or bleeding or anything. Is it most likely that another chick pecked at her? Wouldn't it look red? Do I need to separate her?
    Thanks.

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    If they are not still pecking she should be fine. Just keep a keen eye on her to make sure they are leaving her alone. If they don't you will want to separate till that spot clears up and hen you can reintroduce. Usually if they peck and make bald spots they will keep at that spot but blood makes it worse. A red brooder light would help that problem as well. You can usually.find them at wal mart pretty cheap.

3. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    They have a red light on them since they live in the garage. Gotta keep the babies warm! So far so good. I just worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by