i think my chicks hate me!!!

mom wewantchicks!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
buckhannon,wv
well we have 3 little tsc chicks, now almost five weeks old. and not to friendly! well actaully, how friendly are chicks supposed to be? im new to owning chickens and it seems from some of the post that everyones chickens are as friendly as kittens! our chicks never willingling come over to be held of petted. if im just letting them out in the yard with us to play, they will hang around us and peck on our toes, but if you try to pick on up they act like im killing them! once you get ahold of them, they will calm down, but only sit with you until they can make a break for it lol. so is this normal? is there something more i can do? ive tried treats and they dont eat them! i will hold out something or even put it in the cage and ive never seen them eat it! or ( and i think this is the most of the problem!) is it the fact that i have 3 kids that really love the chicks and are always trying to hold them, or getting excited and running over to see them. so any ideas on brining my chicks around? or is this how it will be?

Some chicks have different personalities than others
idunno.gif
just like people. You can't expect them all to be super-lovey-dovey! In my experience the only thing you can do is treat them slowly and calmly; try pouring scratch/feed in your hand. If they associate you with food, you're all set!
Goodluck!
ya.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, just reread yor post re:food issues. Maybe they just don't like the treats (our Fatima, now 7 weeks, was wasting away for a while because she didn't like the starter we were giving them!). What are you feeding them for tasties?

When you pick them up, try to put a hand under their feet and let them sit, birds don't like to feel that floating feeling. And when you reach for them, do it from the bottom or sides, not from the top, as sky predators invoke natural freak out response. Best of luck!

Quote:
This is Good advice!

Also- my husband used to work with parrots, so whenever he wants to pick up the older chicks he puts a finger by their chests and bumps his finger up under them. That automatically pushes them up onto his finger to perch. They seem to like this- though it does not work for tiny chicks yet.

Hello there:
My best advice is SLOW SLOW SLOW.
The best treat that I found for my chickies is wetted starter feed- like a mash...just a small amount and just hang with them close. It is good that they come up and hang around your feet.
Please try to limit you children's handling the chickens until you are holding one so that they are no so frightened by happy kids.
Best of luck!

I find for chickens, it is easiest to go from behind. Scoop them up with your hand behind their legs and they will step up on you. Like parrots but backwards. If you try to go from the front, usually they just stand there and look at you like where's the treats?

Quote:
well i have tried differnt things, strawberry tops, lettuce, bread, today i thought they might like the crust of our grilled cheese sanwiches,but no!!! the only thing they have ran over and taken right out of our hands is beetles!! those gross brown ones that fly around at night, well a few had got into the house and they where going nuts trying to get them,so my dh was nice enought o catch them and feed them to the chicks!! ewwwwww!!!

Back
Top Bottom