I Think My Geese Were Breeding...

HorsesRMe123

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
Washington, USA
So...it’s the end of November and it’s slowly getting colder. I would think geese mating isn’t a thing this time a year and my geese are still young, only 6 months old. I have a little kitty pool and about each day I here my gander almost do a distress call sound, almost as if he’s being killed which I never have heard before. It worried me at first until today. I saw both of them laying side by side almost like they just had mated. But they were laying both on their sides and my gander was slightly on my goose’s back. After they got up, I thought I saw something drip from their butt on both my geese (yeesh). Also, yesterday my goose, who’s name is Daisy, I found to have a very swollen eye. I didn’t know why. It’s like a black eye right now and I’m thinking my gander Oliver bit it. After I found both of them in that position today, I saw part of Daisy’s feathers on her head raised up, maybe from Oliver holding her there? He has also been extra aggressive lately and I’ve had to set him straight quite a few times, more than the usual. My goose seems to be louder than usual. If they are mating, why? Why at this time of year? Will there be eggs if they are mating? When will the first egg come if they have mated?
Please help! As I’m a first time goose owner. Also, if it helps, their breeds are White Chinese geese.

So...it’s the end of November and it’s slowly getting colder. I would think geese mating isn’t a thing this time a year and my geese are still young, only 6 months old. I have a little kitty pool and about each day I here my gander almost do a distress call sound, almost as if he’s being killed which I never have heard before. It worried me at first until today. I saw both of them laying side by side almost like they just had mated. But they were laying both on their sides and my gander was slightly on my goose’s back. After they got up, I thought I saw something drip from their butt on both my geese (yeesh). Also, yesterday my goose, who’s name is Daisy, I found to have a very swollen eye. I didn’t know why. It’s like a black eye right now and I’m thinking my gander Oliver bit it. After I found both of them in that position today, I saw part of Daisy’s feathers on her head raised up, maybe from Oliver holding her there? He has also been extra aggressive lately and I’ve had to set him straight quite a few times, more than the usual. My goose seems to be louder than usual. If they are mating, why? Why at this time of year? Will there be eggs if they are mating? When will the first egg come if they have mated?
Please help! As I’m a first time goose owner. Also, if it helps, their breeds are White Chinese geese.
well, my chickens mated not too long ago, and she lays eggs still. I also know that hens can reject the sperm and “poop” it out. I don’t know if this applys to geese. But I if their not laying eggs, maybe the male was just assuming dominance like a lot of other animals would do. Best of luck! 👍

well, my chickens mated not too long ago, and she lays eggs still. I also know that hens can reject the sperm and “poop” it out. I don’t know if this applys to geese. But I if their not laying eggs, maybe the male was just assuming dominance like a lot of other animals would do. Best of luck! 👍
Thank you for the help. Yeah I haven’t seen my goose lay eggs yet. I don’t think I will until at least February when their laying season starts. I didn’t think about that either, he could have just been dominating her or something. That would make much more sense!

So i can verify that my geese DEFINITELY were breeding. They breed about every day now. Why is this if my goose isn’t fertile?

Once geese are mature they breed more or less all year wether it’s laying season or not. Generally it isn’t as much or at all in late summer and fall, but it can still occur.

Once geese are mature they breed more or less all year wether it’s laying season or not. Generally it isn’t as much or at all in late summer and fall, but it can still occur.
Ok I’m glad that that’s something normal haha. I guess since my geese are becoming mature they’re starting to “practice” with each other lol.

Back
Top Bottom