I think my girl has finally laid an egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsayRae, Dec 30, 2015.

1. LindsayRae

LindsayRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2015
    Southern Pines, NC
    This morning I let my chickens out to run around before the rain came down and I noticed my barred rock sticking very close to coop and then even going in the upper part where nest boxes are. I got really excited!! I went out to make sure there was proper bedding in the nests and she was right up there with me(usually a bit sketchy), and plopped down on a fresh bed of pine shavings. I walked away and heard this LOUD squawk! Was that her in labor? :') Anyway, I am not sure If I should bother her right away to check? [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Leave her be. She may just be practicing, so don't be too disappointed if you don't find an egg.

1 person likes this.
  3. LindsayRae

Jun 16, 2015
    Southern Pines, NC
    Okay good!! I've been noticing the nest boxes were made recently and my rooster back up there laying in the boxes too. I will just leave her be .Thanks! If I see her running around Ill go hurry and check!

4. jimbob86

jimbob86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Nebraska
    My Coop
    I know the feeling waiting on that first egg...... worse than a little kid waiting on Christmas, because THAT has a definite date!

5. LindsayRae

Jun 16, 2015
    Southern Pines, NC
    It's so exciting I can't think to do anything else! I have had the longest adventure with chickens this year and about a year later I might get an egg! The first chicks I got all were cockerels, then the next ones I bought from an auction were really sick and old, then finally purchased some nice looking 100% pullets from a breeder so there would be no mistake!

. . . . . now I wait. . all my learning experiences might finally be worth it! [​IMG]

6. jimbob86

Aug 7, 2015
    Nebraska
    My Coop
    Quote: It will be: "What we achieve too easily, we esteem too lightly." works in reverse, as well!

1 person likes this.
  7. LindsayRae

Jun 16, 2015
    Southern Pines, NC
    SHE LAAAAAAIIIID!!![​IMG] I'm so happy! I feel guilty taking it out though! SHould I leave it in there for a while!?

[​IMG]

8. jimbob86

Aug 7, 2015
    Nebraska
    My Coop
    Hurray!

.... I don't leave eggs in the boxes- I've heard it encourages them to get broody, though that shouldn't be an issue with a young bird.

Also, If I left tem in the boxes now, they'd freeze: It's up to 29 degrees on the sunny east side of my house right now....

9. LindsayRae

Jun 16, 2015
    Southern Pines, NC
    I just gobbled it up! I was so excited I forgot to eat and my stomached growled at me to go get that egg!!! I have heard some stories about broody hens, so I will take them out right away! I wish it was 29 here. It's been 75 for a week now and a soggy mess. All I can think of is how many bugs there will be if it doesn't freeze!

1 person likes this.
  10. jimbob86

Aug 7, 2015
    Nebraska
    My Coop
    Quote:
    More protien for the chooks.

I enjoyed a weird satifaction when one of my chickens snatched a fly or skeeter out the air ..... akin to Mr. Miyagi watching Daniel-san catching one with chopsticks .......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by