I think my hen pecked my pullets eye out... help?

Katie O

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
I went out yesterday to feed and water my chickens and my little Barred Rock mix seemed perfectly fine, well after i got from school today I went to check on them and i found one of my older girls on top of her pecking her head. Once she saw me she let her go and ran to the door for treats. My little Barred Rock's eye was swollen and she wouldn't open it. She just wanted to lay in the corner of the pen. I did separate her, but she still hasn't opened her eye or for that matter acted right. Anything i can do to help her?

Sorry you have a injured hen. Try to get her to eat some scrambled eggs and yogurt. You can treat injured area with regular neosporin if, some gets in the eye that is ok. Keep her as comfortable as possible and hopfully she will recover
fl.gif

Thanks! I went out and checked on her this morning and she was eating some watermelon and bread. Her eye was draining pretty bad so i cleaned it up and put some neosporin on it. She acted a lot better today. She was dusting and scratching around, so she's improved from yesterday.

All I suggest is to keep a very sharp eye on her and the other chickens.... You never know what to expect from chickens!

-Ellochicken
yippiechickie.gif

Glad to hear she's better. I had that happen to a young roo. He healed without getting any infection but unfortunately he was blind in that eye. He loved me for saving him from the other roo but kept trying to mate with my boots. LOL

Ive separated her and put her with my silkies who I've never seen aggression out of.. They fall in love with any new chickens and she was housed with then when we first got her.

She opened her eye today, but it was mostly filled with liquid.. is they're anyway i can stop it from becoming infected?

I have had huge success with something you can make yourself called Colloidal Silver....you should be able to purchase it from Tractor Supply in the pet section. Do some research on this remarkable stuff....it has already saved my dogs life and also helped a cat heal from Rattlesnake bite. As mentioned you can make it yourself or in your case you can pick up a spray bottle of it .

Here is what it looks like.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/815255876-conquer-wound-spray-2-oz/;_ylt=AtV0PcNLN8H8VLGsMYfvGBBmWr8F

Back
Top Bottom