I think my kids are enjoying this too much.... :)

Booker hit it on the head. If/when the you know what hits the fan I want to be able to feed my kids. I think after watching the process I could do it myself. Until it does, however, I plan to keep paying the nice people in Mansfield to do it for me. :) I am debating taking the kids with me next time.

the family that does our butchering has 6 children aged from about 1 to 12. each of the children ( except the yourngest 2 ) have their own jobs during the processing - plucking, cutting, bagging, cleaning, etc. - it is just like an assembly line! and they are happily working away - i can just imagine my grandchildren Yucking and gagging if they had to do it.

Gee, I wish I could have that much enthusiastic help when I butcher chickens! I can't get my guys (that includes Mister) to help with much more than the eating part of the process.

I had a friend who used to have time to come join me for processing, it was one of the few times we could get together & visit without the kids pestering us too much. The day after one session her 4-year-old son came to her first thing in the morning for a cuddle, and said "Mom, you're the best chicken-killer ever!" My friend, who takes her compliments wherever she can get them, simply said "Thank you!"

lau.gif
gig.gif

ROFL I can see my son doing that. He "helped" me process rabbits before and grabbed one of the feet and we couldn't get it away from him til he fell asleep.
th.gif
I can only hope he doesn't get too attached to the animals. We're planning on raising several species just for food production. Thanks for the laugh and you better go process the chickies before the kids decide to do it themselves.
hide.gif

Quote:
I didn't read thru the posts, BUT that is just freaky to me, no small child should be so Happy to kill a chicken, my son would have been mortified and so would I

I didn't read thru the posts, BUT that is just freaky to me, no small child should be so Happy to kill a chicken, my son would have been mortified and so would I

Your reading into it WAY too much. Its not the act of killing the chicken they loved so much. It was the quality time they spent with their parent(s) and the praise Im sure was heaped on them for doing such a good job. Kids want to feel helpful and involved. My daughter is 3 and she LIVES to help. Doesn't matter the job she wants to be involved so I make it a point to involve her anytime I can.

Why would your son be mortified over killing a chicken? Unless the meat is unused, then the chicken died for nothing. THAT is a reason to be mortified. Do you eat chicken? Does your son understand where the meat they eat comes from? Do you raise your own meat birds? Do you process any of your own birds? Do you eat chicken?​

Last edited:
Quote:
Your reading into it WAY too much. Its not the act of killing the chicken they loved so much. It was the quality time they spent with their parent(s) and the praise Im sure was heaped on them for doing such a good job. Kids want to feel helpful and involved. My daughter is 3 and she LIVES to help. Doesn't matter the job she wants to be involved so I make it a point to involve her anytime I can.

Why would your son be mortified over killing a chicken? Unless the meat is unused, then the chicken died for nothing. THAT is a reason to be mortified. Do you eat chicken? Does your son understand where the meat they eat comes from? Do you raise your own meat birds? Do you process any of your own birds? Do you eat chicken?

You're talking to yourself......still freaky and strange

One of the problems with generic but intriguing topic headings is they sometimes draw people into topic areas they don't belong.

I don't see how anyone who processes their own meat birds could find the OP anything but charming.

Back
Top Bottom