I think my pullet has wry neck...help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pretty Birds, May 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Songster

May 13, 2019
    Maine, USA
    Is there anything else I can do for her? Is it possible to make a brace for her neck? Is there any chance she'll get better?

2. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    You could probably fashion some type of collar but if she's not improving I'm afraid all you can do is love on her and keep her fed/hydrated :hugsCould you remind me how long she's been this way? Has there been any improvement in the last 24 hours?

I think this might bring you some comfort:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-with-loss-from-a-tenderhearted-farmer.72519/

3. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Songster

May 13, 2019
    Maine, USA
    She has been like this for 2 1/2 weeks. There has been no improvement, she has stayed about the same. Will she have a twisted neck the rest of her life?

4. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Given how long it's been since this happened and there's been no improvement it's not looking good, sweety. I'm so, so deeply sorry. You've done wonders with her care and she knows she's safe and loved but I can't imagine her getting better after this much time has passed.

:hugs:(

Sequel, Wyorp Rock and Pretty Birds like this.
  5. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Songster

May 13, 2019
    Maine, USA
    Should I cull her? I can't imagine her being like this the rest of her life.:hit

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  6. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I've no experience culling but I'd say the time is near. Is culling something you've done before/are prepared to do? If not, I'd start a separate thread on culling and seek advice from others who have the experience and can kindly guide you through your choices.

I'm so sorry, honey :hit:hugsI hope I'm wrong and some just take longer to recover!

Pretty Birds likes this.
  7. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
  8. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I was especially encouraged by this post. In this case it took THREE WEEKS!

We have one lucky Black Australorp that survived wry neck thanks to all the input from friends on
    this BYC site!

We caught it early, did the research, started treatments:

Poly visol once a day, vit E once a day, some pedialyte in the water, and scrambled eggs, yogurt as treats.
    We did this for about three weeks, tapering off during week three. When she was having a bad moment, I'd
    gently uncurl her neck and hold it up for a moment or two which seemed like it helped a little bit.

I did band her leg with a twisty tie so I could tell her from the other two Australorps. Left her with the others
    since it seemed that any increase in stress would set her off. One suggestion was to give the vit E with Selenium
    but by the time I found it and bought it the capsules were not in liquid form so never did use any of it.

Give it a try. Be warned you wear as much of the poly visol and vet E as the bird gets, if not more! [​IMG]

9. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    That's what I mean. I just couldn't see on that picture.
    Sorry, is it 120 mg of C or B per tablet? I'm assuming B?

10. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    At least one person made a neck brace out of bubble wrap that held the head in the proper position.

Henriettamom919 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: