I think my pullet has wry neck...help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pretty Birds, May 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Songster

May 13, 2019
    Maine, USA
    I got Poly-Vi-Sol and Pedialyte. How much do I give her and how offend?

2. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    It's the iron free one, right? And it's one drop right in her open beak. The iron is poisonous so if it's the wrong one just explain the confusion wherever you bought it and I'm sure they'll exchange it!

3. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Songster

May 13, 2019
    Maine, USA
    Yes, no iron.
    Do I give her one drop per day? She is almost 9 weeks old.
    How much Pedialyte do I give her?

4. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I'm not sure on the dosing for a 9 week old. Let me do some digging. I would go ahead and give her as much Pedialyte as she would have water for today.

Do you want me to start a new post asking for dosing advice?

Pretty Birds likes this.
  5. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Okay, looks like 5 drops a day for a grown bird. I'd start with two drops today (one right away and another this evening) until I can find something more specific.

As for the Pedialyte, just keep offering her dropperfuls every hour or so for a few hours then after that give it to her when she eats.

How is she eating/pooping today?

Pretty Birds likes this.
  6. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Songster

May 13, 2019
    Maine, USA
    The same. She ate her scrabbled eggs this morning:)

7. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Songster

May 13, 2019
    Maine, USA
    If you think that would help, I'd appreciate it.

8. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Songster

May 13, 2019
    Maine, USA
    It has been a week since I started giving her Poly-Vi-Sol and Pedialyte, in addition to Vitamin E and B-complex. No improvement. See has not gotten any better, and I think the best thing to do is cull her.:hit

What is the best way to put her to sleep forever?

9. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    There are a lot of different ideas on this.
    It's kinda up to you and what you're comfortable with.
    Just chopping the head off is a really quick humane death, but it's pretty visceral and feels bad for us chicken parents (to some of us. No offense to those who can do it without getting upset. I'm not one of them.)
    You could do the broomstick method, where you lay the chicken on the ground, put a broomstick across it's neck. Step on both sides of the broom and give a quick jerk to detach the brain and spinal cord. Also an instant death. There will probably be some flapping afterwords. There's a video I know of that can be helpful.
    If you're a more peaceful sort you could do the ether method. Basically, buy a can of high quality starter fluid from an automotive store. Get a large container that can be closed. Put your chicken in the container, put the starter fluid in there in a separate open container so it'll evaporate but not make the chicken all wet, and then seal the lid. Should put her to sleep peacefully. Probably smells really bad though...
    I'm really sorry you're faced with this decision. Poor little girl. :hit

Sequel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: