I think this would make an excellent coop. My husband disagrees.

annewandering

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Idaho
What do you all think? It needs a floor and a door and the chicken stuff like nesting boxes etc. Prettied up a bit would be nice too. I am also looking at the stump all those posts are leaning up against. If we incorporated it into a run at some later date I bet the chickens would love it.
My husbands objection is it is a bit far away from the house. We did lose two bunches of chickens before and they were around the side of the house where we did not hear anything.

That would be an awesome coop! Make sure it's weather/predator proof, build a run and put the roosts/ nest boxes, a little paint, and you have a large, useful coop, that cost you less than if you had built it from scratch.

I have been keeping 12 to 15 birds in this 3 level 4x8 foot print coop for years with no problems. It was being scraped by a neighbour and I renovated and rescued it. Framed the inside with 2x2 and insulated and covered the Styrofoam with veneer from interior doors I picked up as cast aways. Replaced the metal sliding doors with hinged 1/2 inch plywood doors.

This shed was actually framed up with 2 x 4s so is pretty sturdy. I have given some thought to insulating it but my first concern is the floor which is dirt and pallet. It has some old junk in it and I dont remember how many pallets. What to do for flooring I am not sure. Would love it to be concrete. If not that then I am thinking concrete pavers or blocks of some sort.
Another idea for the floor is to put down joists and plywood it then linoleum or tile.
The door could be a framed screen door which would help with ventilation. Screen made from hardware cloth. I was giving some thought to a double door with a screen and then a solid door for cold windy winter storms and days.
We have about six to eight weeks to get this figured out and done so not in a major rush but limited time nevertheless.

Back
Top Bottom