I think we have Chicken mites

KIMEng

Chirping
Jul 4, 2019
Orlando, Fl
Hello !!,
I think a couple of my hens have chicken mites; my Red Sex link backside is loosing feathers and becoming raw. I have also noticed a raw area right between the eyes of my buff polish she constantly has her head in the dirt; pics attached. I do not think Goldie, the RSL, is molting she is just 13 months and I think it's too soon? She is not acting any differently good appetites as always and good energy level. The coop is about 200 sq ft and houses 7 hens. I do not see this on any of the other 5 girls right now. If chicken mites, I think I need to treat Goldie and Crackhead(the Polish) and then treat coop too. I don't think another chicken is plucking her feathers because despite her size, she is the Boss-got love a red head!!! I have attached some pictures, any help would be greatly appreciated :):hmm

Attachments

• IMG_1965.jpg
    IMG_1965.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1975.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1978.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4167.PNG
    IMG_4167.PNG
    272.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4169.PNG
    IMG_4169.PNG
    290.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4170.PNG
    IMG_4170.PNG
    296.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4171.PNG
    IMG_4171.PNG
    288.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4177.PNG
    IMG_4177.PNG
    292.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4185.jpg
    IMG_4185.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4191.PNG
    IMG_4191.PNG
    269.3 KB · Views: 5
Hello !!,
I think a couple of my hens have chicken mites; my Red Sex link backside is loosing feathers and becoming raw. I have also noticed a raw area right between the eyes of my buff polish she constantly has her head in the dirt; pics attached. I do not think Goldie, the RSL, is molting she is just 13 months and I think it's too soon? She is not acting any differently good appetites as always and good energy level. The coop is about 200 sq ft and houses 7 hens. I do not see this on any of the other 5 girls right now. If chicken mites, I think I need to treat Goldie and Crackhead(the Polish) and then treat coop too. I don't think another chicken is plucking her feathers because despite her size, she is the Boss-got love a red head!!! I have attached some pictures, any help would be greatly appreciated :):hmm
I can't see from the size and resolution of the pictures anything that would suggest they have mites.
There are different types of mites. The most common is what is called the red mite, which incidentally isn't red until after it has fed. The red mite does not live on the chicken. They live in the coop. The easiest way to check for red mite is to take a clean white tissue and while the chickens are roosting on a perch at night, rub the tissue along the underside of the roost bar. If there are red blotches on the tissue then you have a red mite problem.
The most common mite that lives on the chicken is The Northern Fowl mite. If your chickens have these then you should be able to see them around the vent, at the back of the neck and under the wings most commonly. A very close inspection with a magnifying glass will show you the mites.
The red around your hens vent looks more like feather picking or uric acid rash.

Back
Top Bottom