I thought all roosters had spurs?

Since some hens have them, I would guess that some roos don't. Haven't owned enough roos to know.

Heres why I ask.
I think I have all girls and am pretty sure. Then I look at some of the pics posted here asking what gender their chicks are and when I look at them I am certain one way or another what they are.
Then I see the anwsers. It is making me second guess that I do have all girls.
I was hoping the spurs were my fail safe anwser. I have no spurs to be seen. They are 15 weeks old also, I am thinking if we had a rooster in there it would be pretty easy to see now.

I have one that has 1 spur..that's it. The other one was not removed, just never grew
hu.gif

Most if not all ADULT roosters will have spurs, but it is the last thing that develops on a rooster. 15 weeks old is way too young to have significant spur development.

My 1 year old roosters spurs are only about an inch long.

Quote:
Yes, all roos have spurs, a very few hens have spurs, and yes, they are about the last thing to develop. My 1 year olds never have spurs that long--maybe at 18 months...but I have mostly silkies. I have a feeling that spurs grow faster on game breeds.

My one year old Light brahma roo has very small spurs about 1/2 inch nubs really. Never been removed or filed down. He is last spring's chick - so I'm guessing they take awhile to grow. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom