I thought he was a she!

justduckie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Until I saw her/him mount one of my other hens.:eek:

I have what I thought was a RIR hen. He/she has never crowed, was rather calm, never threatened or attacked anything.......he/she was bigger than the other hens, but I thought maybe it was just the breed since I've never had a RIR before. He has a nice comb and such and I just did a search and he looks like the other pictures of the RIR roos on the site. He's about 22-24 weeks old.

I always called him/her Miss Roady! Poor baby, no wonder he's never crowed. He thought he was a she.
wink.png

The only way he was different from the other chicks is he really doesn't like to be picked up, but once I have him, he's fine. He likes it when I pet him and he doesn't mind being carried around the yard.

Does this mean I should seperate him from the hens since he's starting to mount them? I have 10 hens and him. They are in a 8X4 coop that is about 8 feet tall and they free range during the day. They will have a yard before winter hits that will be about 20x20.

Same age as he is. I've got 2 that just started laying - a barred rock and a buff orp and then 8 Americaunas that haven't started laying yet. I got them all at the same time. He seems to only mount the barred rock - she started laying first.

And why he doesn't he crow?

Back
Top Bottom