I thought he was a she!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by justduckie, Sep 13, 2008.

1. justduckie

justduckie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    Until I saw her/him mount one of my other hens.:eek:

I have what I thought was a RIR hen. He/she has never crowed, was rather calm, never threatened or attacked anything.......he/she was bigger than the other hens, but I thought maybe it was just the breed since I've never had a RIR before. He has a nice comb and such and I just did a search and he looks like the other pictures of the RIR roos on the site. He's about 22-24 weeks old.

I always called him/her Miss Roady! Poor baby, no wonder he's never crowed. He thought he was a she. [​IMG]

The only way he was different from the other chicks is he really doesn't like to be picked up, but once I have him, he's fine. He likes it when I pet him and he doesn't mind being carried around the yard.

Does this mean I should seperate him from the hens since he's starting to mount them? I have 10 hens and him. They are in a 8X4 coop that is about 8 feet tall and they free range during the day. They will have a yard before winter hits that will be about 20x20.

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    How old are your hens?

3. justduckie

justduckie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    Same age as he is. I've got 2 that just started laying - a barred rock and a buff orp and then 8 Americaunas that haven't started laying yet. I got them all at the same time. He seems to only mount the barred rock - she started laying first.

And why he doesn't he crow?

4. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Most people would be thrilled to have a rooster that doesn't crow!

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You don't have to separate him unless you don't want fertile eggs or he is overmating the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by