I thought It was a Rooster.confused.

Sometimes, but rarely. You actually don't have enough hens for 1 cockerel.
What do you do then?
The Rhode Island red I got at tractor supply and they said they were all pullets so it’s kind of a shocker but the wyandotte was a straight run so I’m not too surprised. Do people just put the roosters in a separate coop? Any help on the topic would be much appreciated.

Can 2 Roos live with 6 hen and life be ok in the coop and run? so far no fighting. The other 4 older hens do not interact with the 4 new ones will that change? The RIR always runs at me, thought he wanted to be picked up, maybe not :)

Depends on how big the run and coop are. Depends on the personality of each rooster/cockerel. Basically it depends. Six hens might be pushing it a little though

What do you do then?
The Rhode Island red I got at tractor supply and they said they were all pullets so it’s kind of a shock. The Y and that was a straight run so I’m not too surprised. Two people just put the roosters in a separate coop? Any help on the topic would be much appreciated.
You could make a bachelor pad,a separate coop but that may or may not work out.
You rehome or give them away as food or eat them yourself.
Not what you hoped to hear, I'm sorry but that's usually what happens

2 RIR and 2 Golden laced Wyandotte 16 weeks. I thought one was rooster but does not crow. He is extremely nice too. Also, one of the RIR have me worried he is a rooster.
I've seen crows come as early as 3 weeks and as late as 18 months. Gender specific saddle feathers are telling a story in non hen feathered breeds by the stated age (images from google)..

1685644373676.png

1685644394574.png

I do keep a stag pen.. and have kept more than one (cockerel) with too few hens and no excessive fighting/ competitive mating, or over mated ladies.. individual demeanor (and set up) definitely matters.

Most hatcheries that guarantee gender will send a refund for males but you still have to deal with them. Most middle man sellers have no such guarantee. Some private feed stores will take cockerels to sell and trade for store credit or even just as a favor. Craigslist farm and garden section usually gets easy action on chickens.

Hope this helps. :fl

Back
Top Bottom