I want my master bathroom back....

Jolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Northern California
My chicks are getting older and i can't wait to get my bathroom back. Is that just horrible? They are getting so big and i every couple hours i have to change their water because they are clogging it up with bedding.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......I had to clean out the brooder tonight and it was a huge ordeal because it's a huge box.

I can't wait to have the coop finished. Dh trenched for the run today.....soooooooooo it won't be too much longer. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll post some pictures of it.....
Take care,
Jodie

I just put my water up on a brick today ... it was a great suggestion from somebody on this site. Not only have I not had to clean it out today (and I had to 20 times the day before). They also seemed more interested in the water at the new height.

Anyway, add a brick until they go out. Atleast their water will be nice and fresh.

Bests,
Charlotte

I have my girls' water up on a piece of 2x4 but they still scratch and kick bedding into in all day @@. When they move to the big coop they will be on a wire bottom so at least I have that to look forward to...

I imagine your brooder is fairly small compared to mine...a 6' diameter hot tub frame.
lol.png
lol.png

I purchased 12" round concrete stepping stones and placed two on top of each other and then their water and two are holding their feeder...mine are 7 weeks old.

Before that, I had them elevated with a section of 2X4 and then a simple brick.

Find something to elevate the waterer to about chest (theirs) height...that will stop the shavings getting in there by almost 100%.

Good luck.

My girls do the same thing to me, so I am constantly changing their water even with it on a brick....:eek: You should see my house....I have a brooder in the living room, bathroom, and spare bedroom, and my house smells like a barn. But it's a good price to pay for such adorable creatures!
big_smile.png

I know about the barn smell ,,, gosh I like my chickens but not this smell....but then I have 73 , they're in big brooder in the basement but I can smell them the second the door opens.....can't wait to get them outside.....
I've put my waters up on plastic ice cream tubs which makes the water about chest level for them....of course i had to put a cone on top to keep them from roosting on top of the water but their water stays clean now.

I will get a brick today.....i think that will help a lot.

Yes the smell gets to me sometimes. It's not too bad but i do childcare and who wants their kids in a house that smells like a barn...right? So i do try to keep it as fresh as possible. I'm amazed at how much these little hens poop.

Back
Top Bottom