I want to breed some funky chickens. I’m thinking about crossing my spitzhaubens with my Paint Silkie Roo.

LillyAcresFarm

Chirping
Aug 13, 2020
Pipestem, Wv
I want some cute little silkies with the spots of a spitzhauben. Who should I breed to who and which should I breed back too. Should I breed a cross to a cross or a cross to a spitz or a cross to one of my other silkies. Or a cross to a cross and then a silkie? Suggestions? The silkies I have are paint, white, black, blue and buff.

I want some cute little silkies with the spots of a spitzhauben. Who should I breed to who and which should I breed back too. Should I breed a cross to a cross or a cross to a spitz or a cross to one of my other silkies. Or a cross to a cross and then a silkie? Suggestions? The silkies I have are paint, white, black, blue and buff.
I'd suggest breeding, Spitzhauben X Silkie, then take the son, & breed back to the mother. Take the son from the Spitzhauben back crossing, & breed it to the sister from the first crossing. This should bring out about 60% Spangled silkies, & 45% mixed patterned.

Take the crosses produced from the 3rd crossing, & breed to an unrelated paint silkie, to add more genetic diversity, before crossing back to brother, sister breeding.

This is just my idea on how I think this breeding idea will work, but I think someone else might have a better idea on this.

I'm also still learning genetics, & learn new things as I go along.

Back
Top Bottom