I want to buy some bulk grains at the grocery store for this winter.

Hi,

I just checked out Honeyville's website and their prices are astronomical! $51.00 for 50 lb of wheat! It does not appear to be non-GMO, either.

I live in Oregon, and can buy 50 lb of non-GMO wheat from the local feed stores for about $12.00. I can buy organic, non-GMO, corn-free 3-grain scratch for $30.00 per 50 lb bag (and that sounds expensive to me).

Azure Standard's prices are much better than that, if they serve your area.

Though wheat has been very hybridized and artificially mutated and lots of people believe this has made it much less healthy, it is not a GMO crop.

Here is more info about what is and isn't GMO: http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/what-is-gmo/

I think it depends on where you are what the cost is. I live in New England and up here the cost of 50lb bag of wheat from the feed store which is a mix of hard red and soft white and it is 24.99. Of course right now I would pay the same cost for field corn in a 50lb bag and barley or oats in a 50lb bag. It's kind of crazy but when you do things like ferment them they last a lot longer than feeding them dry and my birdies seem to like them better fermented anyway.

Back
Top Bottom