I want winter egg laying to slow down.

Drosera

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Henryville, Quebec
But it's not happening. They are getting no extra light, and not even any extra warmth so far.

Is it true that if they lay through the whole winter, they will probably only live a year or so?

We love the eggs they give us, but these are pets more than anything, and so we'd like them to be around for a while.

Thanks.

1 Leghorn, 1 Warren, 2 black sexlinks

i give my leghorns no extra light or anything and they lay year round some are going on their 2nd winter production type breeds do this but as long as you arent forcing them they should be fine enjoy the eggs

Wow--I'm way down here in PA and mine stopped laying in October!

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. However, my friend has chickens that lay all year with extra light and are now 3 yrs old. I'm sure the experts will know. I don't read any poultry books anymore, I just come here!
smile.png

Just remember that each chicken is born with a finite number of ovum. If they use them up laying off-season, their effective usefulness as a layer will shorten some. I donʻt think there any and medical reasons not to just leave well enough alone, just that their "well" may run dry sooner than you might have hoped.

We have had chickens live a long time after they stopped laying. My MIL's farm has 3 hens that are 16+ years old.

We finally replaced some 8 year old hens, needed the space for some egg producers.

Enjoy them while you have them.

Sarah

At 46°N, the darkness should catch up with them in time. (checked your latitude, south of mine
wink.png
)

I was reading about research on a British flock that was kept thru 3 laying periods. They maintained their egg production at above 60% during that 3rd go-around.

These were production hens at a commercial outfit. You know, the birds that are subject to osteoporosis and are supposed to "burn out" quickly. Usually, the poor things are only allowed one laying period. There's no question that they can become exhausted at the "high rev" they are genetically geared for but there can be quite a bit of life in some of these hens (as the owners of some of the rescue hens could attest
smile.png
).

Steve

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom