I was just admiring my handy work tonight..

Yetti

Songster
11 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Grass Lake / Chelsea,Mi
duck-hut-floor.jpg

and how easy it has been to keep clean. I am so glad I took to the time to build this floor system for the geese. it takes about 2 minutes with the hose to rinse it down and fill their water jug and I am done.

Quote:
Yes they are.
its a weeks worth of cutting at 15* angle to get the right foot print and then glue and nail every single contact point. for geese I found the top of the boards being approx. 1 1/16" wide and the spacing at 5/8" works perfect. they have enough support for their feet and the poop drops through.

I bought the supplies to do a Duck hut floor. its slightly smaller but no less work. the spacing for them is 5/8" to 3/4" wide board tops and the spacing is 1/2". I had found plans for this design while searching duck housing. I upped it slightly for the geese and it has been a life saver.

duck-hut-finish-3.jpg

duck-hut-finish-4.jpg

you can see how the floor extends under the walls. that way there is no piling in corners.

duck-hut-finish-1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Why would you think that?

Just so you know I have a 36" wide landscape fabric to put up over the screen. it should cut down the wind quite a bit and the geese won't have to worry about the snow blowing in.

Quote:
Why would you think that?

Just so you know I have a 36" wide landscape fabric to put up over the screen. it should cut down the wind quite a bit and the geese won't have to worry about the snow blowing in.

cuz it seems like the wind would come up through the floor. I mean, I think it's a totally awesome idea but I know here in the DC area it gets really cold and windy so a slatted floor would be breezy for the birds while they sleep.

I'll have to post pics when I am done moving things around. we moved the Goose hut this afternoon. I also added some of the fabric to the sides to block wind. I have to see how much wind it can take?

as for the wind through the floor its a non issue. you'll see when I post new pics that the ends are capped to the ground.

Back
Top Bottom