I was wondering, what combo do you use when breeding your frizzles?

SweetInsanity

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 26, 2010
New York
As the title say, I'm wondering what combo of birds everyone uses when breeding their frizzles. Frizzle to frizzle, frizzle to smooth? If smooth, what kind? Frizzle to silkie?

I have a pair of black frizzle Cochins. I'd like to breed my frizzles. I understand that you're not supposed to breed frizzle to frizzle b/c it can cause the feathers in the offspring to be too brittle. But then I've heard that some people do breed frizzle to frizzle too. I also have 2 splash bantam Cochin roosters. I plan on breeding one of them to the frizzle girl, but I'm wanting to get more hens (I was told the splash roosters where girls when I got them, love when that happens, lol!) I was wondering what other people use when they breed their frizzles to get some cool mixes, since I'd want to breed these girls to my black frizzle boy. Thanks in advance for your input! :)

Because Frizzle x Frizzle gives a 25% chance of a bird with frail, nearly balding or even balding, and weak feathers I'd never go that route. My frizzles are always Frizzle x non-Frizzle.

Because Frizzle x Frizzle gives a 25% chance of a bird with frail, nearly balding or even balding, and weak feathers I'd never go that route. My frizzles are always Frizzle x non-Frizzle.

That's interesting Illa, I never heard of that :)

I am getting frizzle chicks soon, so that's good to know.

If they were bred frizzle x frizzle, should I not get them?

If you're getting them from a hatchery, there's good chances they were bred that way. Just keep the ones who don't seem to have issues. (both physically and mentally, I've known some real wackos before too)

If you're getting them from a hatchery, there's good chances they were bred that way. Just keep the ones who don't seem to have issues. (both physically and mentally, I've known some real wackos before too)

They are not going to be from a hatchery. They are from a backyard enthusiast. He usually breeds guineas for sale, but he has put extra frizzle eggs in the incubator, so I am getting around 5 of them. He is breeding frizzle to frizzle. Is there a way to pick them out at a day old and know they won't have issues?

He did say that a few of them were bred to smooth feather last year. The girls are a result of that, and the boy is a year older.

No, you can only tell once they're fully feathered and the "frazzles" or "curlies" start to show their issues.

My friend had a pair that that was from a frizzle to frizzle pairing. The hen was beautiful while the rooster only really had feathers on his wings, tip of his tail & a few others here & there. That was one if the reasons why I was asking b/c I've heard of frizzle to frizzle breeding where all the chicks that hatched & were frizzled were all beautiful, but I haven't seen any such hatches where all the frizzles had proper feathers.

Illia, what breed of smooth feather do you use? There's a person by me who breeds frizzle roosters to D'uccle hens, but sells them as frizzle Cochins. I don't really think that's what they should be sold as, but I'm not the one selling them. Mine are from a black frizzle rooster & 2 different black Cochin smooth hen. I was lucky, the lady I got them from had 2 of the hens eggs in the incubator & they were both turned out to be frizzles. :) Is there a color I can use to try to get some color on the babies? I know the black should be a dominate trait, in theory, but I also know I hatched out a buff Orpington/dark Cornish cross last year & she looks like a buff Cornish, if there were such a thing.

No, you can only tell once they're fully feathered and the "frazzles" or "curlies" start to show their issues.

I've researched a bit more. So only 25% will be frazzle or curly, correct? While 25% will be smooth and 50% will be frizzle..?

If I took the frazzle and bred it back to smooth, would it's offspring be okay? As long as there aren't any health issues (besides the ugly gene), would they be okay? They won't be sickly or anything, right?

Sorry for hijacking. Just thought I'd ask you while I saw you here :p

Last edited:
Well it isn't just an ugly appearance, it is dangerous for the birds' health too unless you're in a consistently warm climate.

But yes, 25% frazzle, 50% frizzle, 25% smooth.

As to the other question, yes there's Buff Cornish first off, they're very rare though. True type ones are really, really rare. If you want color from a black, best breed it to a Buff, almost anything else but blue, splash, white will get you just blacks with a titch of color in the males, possibly females. I breed frizzled Polish and also frizzled EE's (smooth Ameraucana x frizzled Polish ; frizzled EE x smooth EE)

But remember with blacks - If you breed a black to a colorful one, then take the first gen offspring to another colored bird, you'll have color again.

Thanks Illia! I knew if I bred black & color, then to one of the offspring & bred that to a color & so on the all black would start toning down, but I wasn't sure if it was possible on the 1st breeding or if my dark Cornish/buff Orpington was just a fluke.

Btw, frizzle EE sound way too cool!

Back
Top Bottom