I was wondering

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Berynn, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I am keeping my chickens for ever, I was just wondering what most of the people on this forum does with there chicken:weee

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Songster

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I will use them for eggs as long as they are producing, after they stop producing regularly, we will eat them, I think. I have become pretty attached to a couple of them. As far as the roos go, they are safe as long as they are nice to my kids. My husband told me not to name them, but I couldn't help it. [​IMG]

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Songster

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We like the fresh eggs and then cull them out when their egg production decreases. We currently have three groups of chickens of difference ages, two are now laying and the third probably in December.

4. I have mine strickly as pets............and eggs....... [​IMG]

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Once they're done laying, they're going to be pampered old hens til they go to the great chicken coop in the sky.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  6. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    What does cull them mean???[​IMG]

7. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Get rid of them, either give away or kill.

8. I keep mine as pets and omelette ingredient providers, fertiliser and pretty things to watch in the yard.
    I have a 16 year old hen who is retired, all mine die of old age!! though saying this, i dont have many just 12 and the silkies are for breeding and sharing the chicks around to new family homes.
    In my book, culling is ending their life!!removing then from the population!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by