I wasn't aware that I had to 'manage' my flock.

Check your girls each evening after they go to roost. Make sure that they are staying out of the nest boxes at night.

My little group of replacement pullets have all decided that they like sleeping in the same nest box.

Silly birds....

When I introduce new chicks to my "established" flock, I start by letting the established flock out of their coop in the morning and locking the new chicks inside for the day. This way they get used to seeing the new chicks inside their home. Then when evening comes, they all go in to roost for the night. I keep a little "house" inside the coop for the new chicks to run into for shelter if the others get pecky.

I've found the best way to introduce new ones is to buy a coop or make another one and leave the babies in the coop next to the other. Eventually they will get used to each other. I don't let my babies out until they are nearly as big as my older hens. There is still a pecking order that occurs but since they are in the yard all together the babies are able to run and avoid the older ones. I am now introducing my babies and so far they are being accepted of one another.

Back
Top Bottom