'I wish I'd known...'?

I wish I had known that it was going to take me a LONG time to get my coop built. It didn't happen in my "free" time. It didn't happen in a dedicated weekend (or two). There was always something that didn't work, and needed adjusted.

I wish I had known that chicks outgrow a small brooder VERY quickly. I had always heard I could use a big cardboard box. That only lasted a couple weeks for me.

Oh, and I wouldn't do external nest boxes again. I spent almost as much time assembling them as I did assembling the coop. I would still put a door on the nest box so that I can access them from outside, but I would make the coop a little bigger so that I could put the boxes on the inside of the coop.

Ditto on the length of time, and outgrowing the brooder. Also, the cost was higher than expected.

I wish I had painted the wood before we put it together. I also wish we had waited to assemble the roost before finishing the interior windows. It was a challenge work around the wood.

I am so glad I found this website BEFORE building the coop, and have learned a lot from the predators and pest section. Initially I stuck to the baby chick and this forum, but now, with chicks 6 weeks old, I am venturing out, and it's scary how helpless our birds are.

Some suggestions (I've done some, wish I'd done others.)

1)Put in electricity and outlets for lights and water heater.

2) Run water to the coop--best idea is an in ground hydrant or underground pipe.

3) Plenty of ventilation and windows that can be opened and closed--heavy hardware cloth on the outside.

4) At least 2 rooms--one for production birds, a smaller one for a brooder that will hold the chicks until they're big enough to integrate into the main flock.

5) An "air lock", 2-door system that allows you to get in and out so the birds can't follow you.

6) A separate area for food and nest material storage--you can combine this with your escape doors.

7) A solid wood or concrete floor for easy cleaning.

8) Locate it as close to the house as possible but downwind.

9) Finally whatever size you're going to make it, make it twice as big--you'll eventually need the room.
smile.png

Last edited:
I wish I'd known...I would keep banging my head on the run door for making it on the shorter part of the run....OUCH!!!!
he.gif
...next time make it on the tall part...DUH!!

Back
Top Bottom