I wish there was a leash law in GA!!!!!

Kbagwell1

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Augusta, GA
This morning around 6am we here a dog barking in our front yard. We have a Husky who is normally all over the yard (he has a underground fence) but is in time out at the moment in the backyard on a run because he decided to run out of the yard a few times. So it took a few minutes to register that the barking was coming from the front yard, not the back!

So, hubby gets up, gets dressed and goes outside to see what all the commotion is. I ended up falling back asleep.

I woke up at 8:30 because my husbands cousin kept calling our phones....finally I called my husband, who was next door at his moms, and I tell him to call his cousin. He calls and says he just got our Dutch rabbit, Buddy out of a dogs mouth and buried him for us!!! WHAT???????

So I jump up as hubby comes in the get the gun....He says that 2 dogs have been causing a fuss all morning. They have killed my 2 Royal Purple Guineas (hens), leaving the male lonely and screaming for his girls....the dogs ripped their cage apart!!! They have also killed the Dutch bunny I mentioned before...he was in a metal dog kennel with a metal roof and somehow they tore the metal and got him out! They also killed 3 yard birds (silkie/game hen mix)...snatched them right off of their roost!

In the end, we called and filed a police report....and hubby and his dad went looking for the dogs. One had a collar....one didn't. They were a black lab and a tan boxer. No luck finding them yet but they plan on following tracks in the woods...hoping to lead us to their owners!

Does anyone know how we can recoup our losses? If we find the owner....can we sue for everything we lost?

There is a leash law in Georgia. What makes you think there isn't? Every county has their own laws. Mine is very rural and every dog must be under the control of its owner at all times. Look up the laws for your county and if you're in the city limits, the Augusta laws. I'm sure you'll find some that apply.

We have spoken with animal control....in our county, there is no leash law...I didn't mean for it to say GA in general! OPPS! And I'm not in city limits....

Anyway, animal control said they won't come out unless someone has been bitten!!!!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Does your county have your laws online? I have a hard time believing there is NO law about an owner controlling his dog around a city as large as Augusta if there is in my little podunk area. I'd look for it in writing myself. If there truly is nothing there, you have to deal with it yourself. Most of us where animal control is of little use (yes, ours is overworked and understaffed, though it exists) have to use anything in our means to protect our animals from roaming dogs. There is usually a law that says a dog harassing livestock can be shot. Check that out and don't ask anyone--you need to look up the law. You'd be surprised at how little the cops know the local laws.

I hope you find the dogs and can bill the owners for damages and loss. In AZ we have a statewide leash law but it doesn't prevent livestock attacks from dogs. I'm so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Found this for Augusta. Not sure if it applies in the county, but ought to:

Killing or injuring an animal for humane pur-
poses or in the furtherance of medical or scientific
research is justifiable.
(b) Permitted acts. No person shall perform a
cruel act on any animal, nor shall any person
harm, maim or kill any animal, or attempt to do
so; except that a person may:
(1) Defend his person or property or the per-
son or property of another from injury or
damage being caused by an animal; or
(2) Kill any animal causing injury or damage
to livestock or poultry

Here is the link for you: http://www.augustaga.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=753

http://www.augustaga.gov/index.aspx?NID=586

I'd call them and find out if these still apply outside the city limits of Augusta.​

We do have leash laws. I'm rural too and when my neighbors hunting dog got out and killed 20 of my chickens, I took care of it. Except after the deed was done, I did call owner, police, and the local animal control. They came out, no report, and neighbor got his dead dog and handed me a check. Everyone satisfied, and he understood the rational. No further explanition needed.
Jan

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I agree with Cyn, there are laws covering dogs and their control in every state. Yes, if you find the owners get the law on to them, or take out a private action against them. All dependent on the owners of the dogs (sound familiar Cyn) there are some who just do not care about the damage their dogs cause. If you catch them on your land then shoot, kill, call the police and then return the dead animals to their owners - with the police present incase there are any threats.

There is actually a State of Georgia code concerning dogs that I'm sure you can find online-my DH was just reading some of it yesterday. Even areas that don't have specific laws defer to that code, if I'm not mistaken.

I feel for you. No leash law here either, just the right to kill a dog that is attacking livestock. For me, there are 2 legal options: SSS or shoot the dog and call the cops to collect the remains.

ETA: for those who don't know, SSS means Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up.....

also wanted to add, there is also no animal control in the county that will pick up dogs that are wearing a collar. If the dog "looks homeless" they will come out and TRY to catch him. But only when someone is on duty, which is MWF, from 10am till 2PM.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom