I would just about give up.....!!!!! It's a fox!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RubberChickenLubber, Nov 9, 2007.

1. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Man, that just is a bummer!!
    I'm so sorry for your losses!
    Hope you catch the dirty thieving so and so.

2. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Songster

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    My DH is out on our storage building that the run is attached to, hoping to see the culprit. [​IMG]

3. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Ok...It's a fox. DH saw it, but it ran away b4 he could shoot it. Hopefully it'll come back and get in the trap. [​IMG]

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Now you know what you're dealing with...good luck catching Reynard.

5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    "Reynard the Fox" -- hope you catch the trickster, not really sure if I want you to kill him though, even though he ate your chickens...sorry , but he was just doing what his instincts told him. Maybe you could trap and transplant him somewhere? [​IMG]

6. Yes, take him for a nice long drive!!!!we used to have a fox problem until we dug deep down!!!
    now they dont even bother to come visiting, too much work for them.

7. ml

ml Songster

Mar 4, 2007
    First let me very sorry for your loss.

I have two big out side runs for my coop. I put in wire on the floor and nailed it to the wood frame of my run. If you had metal run you can use wire to attach it to the wire frame. But the whole floor is totally wired.

They can dig to hearts content but not getting in now. It is 1/2 inch welded wire mesh. The floor is covered with sawdust.

I have a radio playing and it seems to have stopped most from visiting around my barn. Sure others will have more suggestions for you on this.

ML

8. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Quote:If we trap him, we'll call animal control. If we can't there's really no option. I will not take him somewhere else on my own, simply b/c I don't know the legalities nor would I wan't to take him/her where it could get someone elses chickens.

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Good idea, call Animal Control after you trap him - then he can be tested for rabies & re-homed. [​IMG]

10. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I will forewarn you though, animal control here is famous for telling people to take care of it on their own (killing it). They are lazy and would prefer someone else to take care of the problem. I have even had dead raccoons on my front yard and all they said was not to touch it, bury it, and get my dog her rabies shot again (she just had a shot 2 weeks prior due to a problem with a crazy raccoon in the woods, and they still didn't come out!). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: