I would like your opinion - it's an ethical question

My prayers are with you. Just last month we lost our beagle, she was 17 yrs old, she had wonderful life however the last few years she was blind and seemed only to hear our sons voice and yes she suffered from some dementia, esp when it was dark. She passed on one night while I was at work quietly in her bed. Thanks to the posters of the poem, I'm not one bit ashamed to say I've sit here and cried. God's blessings to you all.

before I had children I had my dog friend Hank. He was my best friend. Two years ago I had to put him down because he couldn't get up anymore and was obviously in pain. I knew 1 year before this that he wasn't well . I kept him alive for me, I couldn't put him down. In hind sight I would have saved him a year of suffering if I could have just done it. Well, two years later I still cry every time I think about my best friend, but at least he's not in pain anymore.
You have to think about what's best for the dog.

As others have said, it's a difficult decision to make but you must do what is best for your girl.

I waited too long with my cat and she died a painful death in my bathroom b/c I didn't have the courage to 'make the appointment'. I swore then I'd never wait too long again.

I had to have one of my old boys put to sleep last May. Beau was 12 and had a good life and was the best dog on the planet. He hurt, he was beginning to fall and had trouble getting up. His mind was still very sharp and he tried to act like he was a pup but physically just could not.

My vet, who I adore, said I was doing him a favor to have him put to sleep while he still had his dignity.

From all the responses your post has generated, I think by now you know what most people think on this sensitive issue. No matter what kind of animal, it's so very difficult to put the responsibility of taking a life away from a living thing on your shoulders, but as an animal lover, you've taken that responsibility on with other things, such as shelter, food and medicine. It doesn't make it any easier, but making the decision on ending suffering is just as necessary as choosing to commit to take care of, and love, an animal in the first place.

As one previous response said, are you thinking of yourself or your pet when you contemplate this decision? I think that's the wisest perspective here and you know the answer.

God bless you. This too shall pass. Then, when you're ready, give you love to another needy animal. There are so many waiting for you...

Thank you all for your help. YOur stories are touching and your prayers are enlightening. Tomorrow morning the vet is coming to our home and putting Alice to sleep. She is 15 years old now and has had a wonderful last 9 years with me. We've been inseparable.

I have weighed all of the health issues that she has to deal with and setting aside my feelings, I believe that she is ready to go.

She will be able to fall asleep in her dog bed in the bedroom and we will place it in with her in our yard next to our other dog, Ernie.

There have been times in my life when I have wished I was able to do this for a loved one who was suffering... and that was not to be. In a sense, Alice is lucky to not have to endure such suffering. Seems we are more humane to dogs than humans.

Bless you all.

I share the emotions you are dealing with, Mcgoo. 8 years ago I made the same decision for my Bo-dog. He was my best friend for 22 years. My vet came to the house and helped him leave this life. What a peaceful, easy way to go..I even told the vet that I wished it could be that easy for us humans. Still, it is one of the hardest decision you will ever have to make. My heart goes out to you...

I'm facing the same for my Ozzie, his hind legs give out on him, he hacks like there is something else wrong, it sounds like an old man who wants to throw up or something...he's 12 now, a golden/collie cross and I'm dragging my feet...

They do remember and live in more than the present, awake and dreaming...and they are so much nicer than most people, that's why its so hard to let go.

I am so thankful for vets who will make a house call so its kinder and easier on the animal, us, too.

Quote:
What a kind, humane thing you did. I've consistenly later wished that I had done the same thing with our dogs that we spent thousands of dollars trying to save, only to prolong their suffering. Every time afterwards, I'd say, "Next time, I'm going to have my old, sick dog..." It was very selfish of me. I hope that when the time comes for Siegmund and/or Sieglinde, our two corgis, I'll do the right thing, as you have done.

I'm going to be in your position very soon. I have a 14 year old, who is starting to have digestive issues because of poor kidney function, but for now, we are managing with special food and medication.

Her hearing is becoming poor, compounded by the fact that she often becomes confused when you are calling her.

But for now, her quality of life is still good. She sometimes even kicks her heals up, and runs down the driveway when I go get the paper.

We can also tell that she really likes our new chickens, she wags her tail and sticks her nose through the cage in the run. The chickens know she is not a threat, and they come over and check her out.

But, I know that at some point very soon, she will decline pretty quickly. I am hoping that she will pass one night in her sleep, but if that doesn't happen, I will make the decision when I have too.

I think you know what you should do.

I am so so sorry.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom