I would love some opinions on Leghorns

Gabrielle silkie lover

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2017
Hello, I have decided to get some chicks for spring. I am very excited and am hoping to try a few new breeds.One of those breeds being leghorns. I am a crazy chicken lady and treat my chickens as pets. I have hears that Leghorns tend to be harder to tame. I would love some other opinions about them.

I don't know about leghorns with personal experience but I heard the same things...but.... if you want to expand your flock choices, i highly suggest nhr's. Some people say they are aggressive or skiddish and other stuff, but, with my experience they are the sweetest, most trusting birds I've had. I also highly suggest blue cochins, porcelain duccle's, Easter egged bantams, and polish bantams. I also suggest super blue egg layers, they are amazing

I've never owned any, but I've done lots of research on them. I know that they tend to be flighty, hard to tame, and even aggressive. Though they are really good layers!

The leghorns we have will come when called for food, but will never let you pick them up/pet them. They don't come up unless they see you have food. My production reds were the cuddly sweethearts of my flock, and just as good of layers.

I had a leghorn rooster that was sweet and gentle with the humans and a great watcher over his flock

I have found that the one Australorp I have is sweet, very docile and gentle and a good broody hen. My sex links are very gentle and docile and hunker down for me always. Both the golden and the red sex links have been that way. My RIRs seem to be fairly active and not very docile. The marans I have had seem pretty smart and average for docility.

The Silkies have all been very docile. The Americaunas were average.

Hello, I have decided to get some chicks for spring. I am very excited and am hoping to try a few new breeds.One of those breeds being leghorns. I am a crazy chicken lady and treat my chickens as pets. I have hears that Leghorns tend to be harder to tame. I would love some other opinions about them.

If you are wanting them as pets I would suggest the brown Leghorns. They may not lay quite as well as the white ones but they live a lot longer and seem to be easier to handle. My 2 white Leghorns just died within a month of each other at 3 years old. But my brown Leghorn, Birdie, is now 9 years old. ;)

Where will you get your birds from? I have ideal hatchery birds. The 7 remaining leghorns are flightier. Don't like being held, but will squat. The one we lost was egg bound. I do like the leghorn more than the NHRs, but they are both hard to catch.

The largest leghorn (ideal 236 cross really) is top bird and everyone knows it. The smallest leghorn (I got 4 236 and 4 leghorn) is the bravest and has gotten out without permission a couple times. The dogs helped me to get her and she lived. She is one of the liveliest personalities too. Real floppy comb. Easy to identify.

All mine will eat out of my hand. How tame do you want them?

Back
Top Bottom