IA here

Pics
Thanks all. You've helped. Yes, we're thick with raccoons and I lock everyone up at night. I feel okay with the chickens in the fence if I am gone...Letting them totally free and being gone all day doesn't sound like a good idea at this time.

In another post I mentioned finding raccoon scat on the chicken coop roof
roll.png
I've trapped 6 since that night and 2 more prior.

I am also starting 50 meat chickens next week, and will be using the electric netting fence around them. I'll let you all know how it goes. I chose 25 Range chickens from JM Hatchery and 25 Barred Rocks from McMurray...Wish me luck.

I appreciate everyone's willingness to help out newcomers to the group.

Last edited:
For the electric netting check www.premier1supplies.com
I've ordered from this company before, they have the best service!!

My roo's start mating at around 5 months old, or a little sooner.

That pound cake sounds yummy!!!

I'm making Lemon Cheesecake bars with White Chocolate frosting tonight.

Flash Point, thanks for the tip, I ordered from them -- the 48in double spike foot and extra poles and splurged on the solar energizer.

It arrived this morning, and I just set it up in under an hour. I'll go back and tighten up the lines after it has a day or so to relax. Also, my neighbor gave me a tip to set it up and energize it a few days before the chicks arrive, so that if deer blunder their way into it and knock it down, I can re set it and not lose the chicks the first day or two.

yep...that bad weather is moving in here too...reports of hail, high winds and tornado warning...again and again. Is everyone ok?

love to see some photos of your new fence, TMR

FlashpointFarm - your cheesecake sounds really good!

here's a poor shot of Stu and some of the old biddies - they aren't up for posing much yet but Stu is a drill sarge! Lucky is still avoiding the camera....

3753755556_0033d221c7.jpg

Catherine

A quick 1-2-3 of putting in the poultry netting fencing from Priemer. UPS driver dropped off two boxes, one with the netting, the other with the energizer.

The netting comes wired and with poles in place (photo one)

3753147417_8cbba8f7b4_m.jpg

I just un rolled and un folded 164 feet of it (photo two)

3753948930_eb169487bf_m.jpg

and then started setting posts in the ground by stepping on the metal spikes. I counted the number of sections and planned out a rough (okay very rough) rectangle.

3753150451_fa94e4e7fc.jpg

Tomorrow I will make some fine tuning adjustments. In side, I'm building a day-range shelter in a lean-to style -- but I'm putting in a temporary 4 x 8 brooder to get the chicks to 2 - 3 weeks and then out on the grass they go. I'll take out the brooder panels and they can hide from the hawks and owls and sleep under cover.

I love my netting. I feel very safe with it and I'm certain without it I'd have some losses already. My place is THICK with skunks, coons, possums, a fox or two, coyotes, stray dogs, cats........ You get the picture.

I use a heavy duty charger though. It throws around 8,000 volts. Enough to kill any grass it touches and unfortunately I found a FRIED toad stuck in the netting tonight. It'll knock your D@ck in the dirt if you touch it. I've done it a few times and MAN does it hurt.

I have one run of the temporary netting and one of the permanet. If I were to do it again, I'd only have the permanet. The poles are MUCH stonger and stand up better. It's so much easier to tension the netting and keep it off the ground.

Last edited:
Whew!!! We made it ok! My husband and I were watching the storm out the window and were begging the storm to be gentle with us!! We kept hearing constant thunder and ball lightning off in the distance. Scary stuff.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom