IA here

Hey City-Chickee, I'm just North of you in Ames.
smile.png
If you ever swing through I can show you my little flock.
That would be cool! I'll let you know if we ever head up that way
smile.png

Just saying
frow.gif
and seeing what other Iowans have going on in coop these days! I've gotten addicted to the HALs so have a barnyard mix in one Mini (Easter HAL), some Pilgrim goose eggs in another (April HAL), slipped some Jaerhon and EE and Iowa Blue eggs under a seriously cranky Iowa Blue broody girl (April HAL), AND just set some Hedemora eggs in another Mini (April HAL) after a rough ride from PA. Have Pilgrim, Jaerhon, and Iowa Blue eggs coming out my ears, and the laying flock is being generous with the barnyard mix eggs too! I think I need to build an addition so I can have my kitchen back!
big_smile.png

What's a HAL?
Hatch-a-longs. There are threads for different groups who are hatching in the same month, or before/by a certain holiday. Everyone helps each other then shows off their peeps to everyone else. Pretty fun! There are a bunch of contests with the Easter HAL, open to everyone not just folks who set eggs for a day-before-Easter hatch. Search for Easter HAL 2015 I think.

Hatch-a-longs. There are threads for different groups who are hatching in the same month, or before/by a certain holiday. Everyone helps each other then shows off their peeps to everyone else. Pretty fun! There are a bunch of contests with the Easter HAL, open to everyone not just folks who set eggs for a day-before-Easter hatch. Search for Easter HAL 2015 I think.
Ahh okay, thank you! So many abbreviations to learn lol That sounds like fun :)

I am not a part of the Easter HAL because I didn't have a brood at the time, and I LOVE hatching chicks by broody. But when I went out to get eggs the last few days one of my silkies has been sitting on them.
yesss.gif
So I just closed up the area where she was setting last night and will hope for the best. Gonna be an interesting barnyard mix. I have lots of different breeds and 3 roosters right now. And I have NO idea how many eggs she has under there. Anywhere from 8-12. So exciting!!!
celebrate.gif

I wish I had room to expand, but will have to wait till we are able to move to our next property. If I could, I'd have a coop for my everyday layers and silkies, and at least 2 coops of exotic or rare breeds, just for fun and for selling or 4-H. A girl's gotta have dreams, right?
love.gif

Just moved my 4 older chicks into the big coop and run. When it started to storm, I realized I really am a chicken at heart. I sat down under the coop and huddled over my 4 chicks for over an hour. Gotta love the Iowa weather!

Don't make the call one way or the other until you see an egg or hear a crow. I had two Light Brahma chicks, and one of them was more outgoing, got a red comb WAY earlier than the other, and was larger than the other. Both turned out to be hens, the other was just an outlier with development.

Anyone interested in chicks?
I have Blue Lace Red Wyandotte and Marraduna Basque fuzzy butt babies - $4 straight run
They are 1 wk old, a few 2 and 3 week old also. I am near Mason City, IA. PM if interested.
Pics of the breeders

Back
Top Bottom