IA here

Pics
zucchini as chicken food --- hmmm.... another use for the devil spawn LOL!

actually this is the first year that I am not over run with zucchini and i kinda miss it (oh nooooo I just didn't say that out loud)

Last edited:
Chickens WILL eat anything..but not everything is good for them. I just throw things in there...if someone looks a little green after eating it, I don't do it again. LOL No really, I found a list on the site somewhere of things that are not good for them. Maybe I should have checked it before giving them the Zucchini. Oh well...it's been eaten now, so hopefully they are still alive in the morning.

Quote:
I actually plant extra zucchini just to throw to the chickens - they love it. Here's a picture of my blue orp and her babies enjoying some this afternoon :)

5630_zucc_001.jpg

that's a beautiful mommy hen-- they look like they enjoy the squash

i figure if i feed it to the kids i can give it to the feathered friends... its just that zucchini usually goes to the freezer but the late season ones could definitely go to the birds... good idea
smile.png

Thanks everyone!

Wow, Mary Jo. Your hen/chicks are eye candy!

I had to fence my garden off from my dogs. They get in there and eat all the tomatoes.
barnie.gif

I have a big Plecostamas (sp?) that loves zuchinni. I just cut off a chunk, stick a fork into it and toss it into the tank.

Another thing we tried last year, and LOVED, was adding some Zuchinni strips into our canned tomatoes. Great in spagetti and casseroles.

Last edited:
so sorry to hear about your hen, Flashpoint...must be done but I find it so terribly hard.

TMF - glad to hear your fence issues are solved...did you get your new birds? I may have read through new posts too fast.

Love Mama Orp and her brood! Clay's roos (Stu and Lucky) are doing well. Stu is relishing his new role as Coop Boss. Lucky is less shy now but hasn't really left the coop - partly due to continuing soggy weather and partly due to his shy personality.

I'm tucking all the green/blue eggs under one of the BRs that is insistently broody...haven't ever tried getting chicks this way so crossing my fingers.

Can't believe its August and I'm not swimming in produce yet...warm, fairly dry and SUNNY predicted for this coming week!

here's hoping for a red tomato!

Catherine

Yes, thanks for asking, the new chicks arrived: 25 barred rocks + 1 "mystery chick bonus" from MurrayMcMurray...and 25 colored range chicks from JM Hatchery. The Barred Rocks arrived Thursday with one doa from the trip, the colored range arived Friday. I kept them inside until Saturday afternoon, and then out to the brooder / range shelter they will call home until butcher. I might add one or two of the barred rock hens to my laying girls, or swap out one of my roosters I bought "straight run" when I first bought the girls.

So far, the two roos are getting along fine with everyone.

just had the worst (strangest) scare ever....7a.m., sitting here surfing, drinking the first cuppa...and I hear Stu...really LOUD. I hadn't gone to the barn yet to do the daily chores so I couldn't imagine why I could hear him so closely. Head outside and find that the exterior steel door to the coop - that has a steel slide/lock handle is wide open...my heart sank. My coop is a fort....100 year old post and beam barn reinforced with steel siding and roof...coop is inside with double thick plywall and two layers of hardware cloth on top and ceiling...two windows I check religiously.

Quickly counted everyone...all present...goats still in their stall, cats still in the barn. Now, a bit of a storm is kicking up but what could blow open a locked steel door? No sign of 4 legged predators...didn't hear any two leg ones....

Stu and Lucky are fine as are the girls but I am still shaking

About 5 am this morning, I heard the shingles rattling on my roof. Sounded like the winds again. If I remember right, you're in Deleware county? Pretty close to me.

We saw quarter-dime size hail this morning in Madison County and rained really hard for about and hour or more. We needed some moisture, but man, all at once is hard to take.

Found little muddy coon prints all over my old-style hen house tractor this morning, little buggers trying to get in all over the tractor, but didn't get in. I had the trap set with peanut butter and egg about 12 yards away--- nothing. Think I'm gonna have to have a stake-out with my lawn chair and .22.

Back
Top Bottom