IA here

That will be fun to watch the broody, Joy.

15765_vadim_marin_and_chickens_013.jpg

This is Naughty Snow White taken several years ago just after we got her. She is still the same size. She is the only Serama I kept. She was broody often and one time a friend of mine gave me some turkey eggs and I put them under her. She tried and tried and finally got balanced on top of one and her little legs stuck straight out to the side! You could actually hear her making a grunting sound trying so hard to stay on top of the egg. I had to hatch the eggs in the incubator and give Naughty something more manageable to sit on. I would feel so sorry for her, she tried to hatch golf balls several times! I never did end up with a Nike chicken.
lol.png

Trish; Naughty is Whiteys mother. I think Whitey was the last fertile egg she laid.

I finally have 2 broodys and gave the Cochin 4 turkey eggs after she proved she was committed. Then I think someone stole her nest box to lay an egg when she took a potty break and she ended up in the wrong box
hmm.png
It had only been a day so I put the eggs under her again. Guess we'll see what happens. The other broody is a Wellie and she did a good job last year but she ends up in a diffent box every day so I don't really trust her with eggs.

Quote:
Thanks for the generous offer, but I'm thinking that between the BO's and SLW's, I should end up with a rooster somewhere. Besides that I live clear over in NW Iowa.....that would be a hassle for either of us to get together.
Thanks though!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for the generous offer, but I'm thinking that between the BO's and SLW's, I should end up with a rooster somewhere. Besides that I live clear over in NW Iowa.....that would be a hassle for either of us to get together.
Thanks though!
smile.png

Don't rule me out as a possible courier for you, maybe around State fair time if your still looking Joy and if Kari didn't send the roos to freezer camp!

In week old chicks how do you tell a SLW pullet from a roo? I hope I am wrong, but I have a suspicision that the hatchery may have missed one of my SLW pullets for a roo. I ordered 3 of them and one of the three is lighter in coloring than the other 2.

Also does anyone know what kind of chicks Lisa Link has? I would be pretty close to right on her way to Osceola and I might take a few chicks if she had some breeds that I was looking for. I don't want a lot of them and only if they are fairly young since I have a young group I have just started.

Got 5 hatchlings last night/today. One has feathered legs and one is white/buff....? I have no idea what they are. So would a buff brahma/Ia blue cross be black with feathered legs? Would Ia blue/Sex link make a white one? I really have no idea on most of the crosses.

Last of most crosses though because jerrit sold all of the sex links, brahmas and barred rock.
sad.png
bit worried the roo might overmate the few hens we have now :\\

oh and I forgot I put the b-cups in with the hens..that are left now :roll: I got tired of changing their water everyday because the darn chicks keep pooping in it so much, so this way they have clean water and room.

Last edited:
the first swap of the year at walker is tomorrow right?
I hope so, I need to get rid of my rabbits - found another nest of 7 this afternoon as I was cleaning the pen. This colony set up is great if I had a use for all the baby bunnies, but it bites big time for just keeping a few pets.
I'll be in walker tomorrow with 4 adult satin- satin angora crosses with short hair, 3 2 month old satin angora crosses with long hair and assorted barnyard mixed roosters plus a pair of birchen cochins that came from a hatchery but won best banties at the Buchanan County fair a year or so ago.

happy mother's day!!
big_smile.png

I went to the Poultry show in Peoria yesterday. I took 6 Black Cochins over. My males didn't do any better than 2nd in its class. My females did better. My pullet was RV and RB. My hen was Best Variety, Best of Breed, Best Bantam, and Best of Show. Hope to get a nice picture of her soon so I can share.

Quote:
Congratulations!!!! Yes we need a picture!

Speaking of - I took pics of the baby cochins but now I am trying to locate the camera cord for the computer. My son moved out and so we did room swaps and made an upstairs office so it got moved in the process.

Back
Top Bottom