IA here

Quote:
Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

I live on the southside of Des Moines so we are almost neighbors. Well as close as any of these yahoos.

So are you goin to Ioway City?

ETA: Wow, page number 500!

Quote:
Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

I live on the southside of Des Moines so we are almost neighbors. Well as close as any of these yahoos.

Last edited:
I hope to go too so I can meet several of you. Steph, we need to talk JG seriously.

What is the sales area like at the EIP show? Is it all started birds, adults, etc or are there ever younger birds and eggs? With the point that I am at, as much as I would like to do differently, I most likely will only be able to buy eggs/youngsters.

Please fill me in on NPIP testing in Iowa. If I have about 100 birds, ranging from day old to layers, what is tested? The states website has said check back soon for information since the Spring. What is the cost and will all of the birds be checked?

Thanks,
Jim

The sales area are pens on the ground and on shelves. Usually waterfowl and turkeys on the ground but sometimes chickens too.
Any bird over 4 months should be tested. Both exhibition and sale birds. And to be honest, I can't remember the percentages to be tested per year for NPIP status. If your birds came from private sellers with a copy of their test results or from hatcheries with an NPIP number, that can suffice as well for your NPIP status. For showing or selling at shows, the birds tests must be less than 90 days old. Their papers are only goof for 3 months in Iowa. I think this law will change. You will want to test the birds you have raised and generally those from another breeder that cannot supply you with an NPIP number. they ask that you send in health papers at the time you send in your exhibition form, but they are lenient and will allow you to test onsite. Some may do it cheaper, I charge 1.00/bird. the antigen costs 87.00/bottle and thats the only way i can even begin to cover the cost of the stuff! You might be able to find a tester in your county by contacting the Iowa Poultry Association by phone, the website never seems to function like it should. If you wish to sell in the parking lot, and not show, you should find out if they allow it and if there is a charge. Someplaces they will chase you away, legally if you do not have the proper paperwork and the correct permission. Sometimes they send Guido and the "kneecap squad", out to collect money if you pitch your tent in their parking lot and I understand that cause there are alot of people who paid good money to have their birds in the show and pay for sales cooping and I am not sure, but it may be a State law that any seller on the show property must have the proper paperwork.

Quote:
Hi and welcome!

I live southwest of Des Moines about 25 miles south of exit 100/Dexter exit on Interstate 80. We had 6 to 7 inches of slushy wet snow. Just got power back a few hours ago after being off for 37 hours. Not my idea of a good way to start the winter.

At the EIPA show NO birds are to be sold outside. This is listed in show catalog. All birds to sell have to be in cage before 8:30 on Saturday for vet inspection. Available sale coops at the show are $6 and only exhibitors can bring birds to sell. When exhibiting and paid for when entering coop is $3.

Craig

Thanks. I was just wondering what to expect when I got there. I don't have anything to sell, at least for a while.

I was wondering about NPIP just for my flock so when I am able to sell, I will have what I need.
Thanks for the replies.
Jim

Haven't been on here in like...forever. Thought to check in.

Went out and got a great start at winterizing the coop today. Covered all the wire walls with plastic, and brought in the old tire for putting the water heater in, when the weather gets cold. Put a new bulb in the water heater. Waiting for the caulking to cure so I can get it out to the coop. Still need to get the eave vents opened up for the season, lights on a timer for longer daylight, then I will be done
smile.png

Felt good to be outside again! I've been so busy making aprons and stick horses for the Annual Holiday Craft Fair at the Pleasantville High School. Would love to see some of my "chicken friends" there!

Fresh air did me a lot of good, but now my nose is caked full of all that dust from the henhouse. YUCK!
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom