IA here

Quote:
I have been washing birds for 2 days and have 3 left to wash getting ready for the show. Lots of time and work to get 17 Cochins(4 Blacks, 1 Birchen,1 Buff Columbian,6 Columbians, and 5 Partridge) clean and dry enough to put back in the coop. Will bring our birds on Friday sometime. This will be my oldest grandsons first show. He has been working with a pair of pretty calm Black Cochins. He can handle them well sometimes and other times he acts afraid and the birds get away from him. Oh well we all have to start somewhere. Hope to see many of you there. Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Say, WHAT??? You have to actually wash chickens to show them? Oh, cripes, do you make them shave their legs, too?

Quote:
I have been washing birds for 2 days and have 3 left to wash getting ready for the show. Lots of time and work to get 17 Cochins(4 Blacks, 1 Birchen,1 Buff Columbian,6 Columbians, and 5 Partridge) clean and dry enough to put back in the coop. Will bring our birds on Friday sometime. This will be my oldest grandsons first show. He has been working with a pair of pretty calm Black Cochins. He can handle them well sometimes and other times he acts afraid and the birds get away from him. Oh well we all have to start somewhere. Hope to see many of you there. Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Say, WHAT??? You have to actually wash chickens to show them? Oh, cripes, do you make them shave their legs, too?

You don't have to wash them but it is a very good idea if you want to do well. Clean legged birds need less washing than feather legged birds like Cochins, Brahma, and such. Never trim or anything that could be considered cheating/faking. Pluck an offending or damaged feather but don't cut.

Quote:

You don't have to wash them but it is a very good idea if you want to do well. Clean legged birds need less washing than feather legged birds like Cochins, Brahma, and such. Never trim or anything that could be considered cheating/faking. Pluck an offending or damaged feather but don't cut.

Em, I meant shaving their legs.--you know, as in shaving their legs and plucking their eyebrows. Oh, yes, and then there's lipstick. If pigs can wear lipstick, why not hens?

Last edited:
Any one from Central or west Iowa going to the Iowa City Show ?

I have some eggs that need a ride ..........
fl.gif

It was good to see some of you at the show. Wish I had more time with you. Had a good show. My grandson did well with his birds. BB and RB for Cochins in the Jr. show. Ribbons and a trophy so he is THRILLED! He did not care about the money awards. I took 5 varieties and had 4 BV and 1 RV and best any other color. Sold 9 or 10 birds and bought 2.

Craig

It was great to finally meet Craig, Eric, and Stephanie and to see Trish again. After debating over what to buy I ended up with a pair of Bantam Black Langshans that came home with me today and a trio of Bantam Black Langshans that were in the show that will come home with Trish tomorrow. Thanks Craig and Eric for the advice. Craig, if I had more money those Bantam Black Cochins would have come home with me too. Congrats to you and your grandson.

Back
Top Bottom