IA here

I meant Langshan, LOL. Neeeed coffeeeeee. I'll take the EE hen and let her free range with my layers.
Thank you. She will be missed here. She came with our first batch of chicks.
hit.gif
But needs to move to greener pastures. You may find her following you around. "sniff".
I will keep Naughty Snow White forever!

Craig, will you be attending the Avoca show?

Gregg, what did you find out about taking birds there?

Anyone going to the show interested in some Birchen MGB chicks? They range from two week olds to just hatched. Also have a few new Hampshire Red bantam chicks but not sure how many of either I'd bring.
Also have a LF Black Langshan. It was supposed to be a bantam but it's got feet bigger than me! Believe it's a pullet. It is a very nice bird, gentle. No it is not one I got from Jim. His are all bantams as expected.
No. I am getting ready for vacation. Been to 3 shows in 4 weeks.
Craig

Even though my grandmother raised hundreds of chickens and actually bought a farm with the eggs during the depression and my husband had chickens growing up, this is my first time too. I have about 6 week old chicks (30 some) and (11) 1/1-2 week old chicks I hatched. They are extremely entertaining. I let a few out of the run everyday to acclimate them to free-ranging but watch close as they aren't too bright (yet). In fact, only about half of the fools will go to bed at night so I'm crawling thru my 2 ft high run gathering them up (imagine this picture...60 yr old woman carrying extra 50 lbs crawling thru a 20x24 opening, laying out cardboard {I love my chicks, but not overly fond of their poop) so I can crawl around. Last night was easy. They settled down right by the door so my husband handed them to me & I put them in the tractor from the people-sized door. Soon, we'll have a larger run and coop so decided to spend the extra money for a 6' tall run! One lives and learns!

Hey Eric, yeah Diana said they are totally flexible. I can sell inside for a fee or set up outside.

We got 5inches of rain Sat and my pens got flooded, glad they can all fly, but I need to cut down on breeder pens, so will take at least a trio of each breed.

leghorns, giants, RIR's ........

See ya there !

Even though my grandmother raised hundreds of chickens and actually bought a farm with the eggs during the depression and my husband had chickens growing up, this is my first time too. I have about 6 week old chicks (30 some) and (11) 1/1-2 week old chicks I hatched. They are extremely entertaining. I let a few out of the run everyday to acclimate them to free-ranging but watch close as they aren't too bright (yet). In fact, only about half of the fools will go to bed at night so I'm crawling thru my 2 ft high run gathering them up (imagine this picture...60 yr old woman carrying extra 50 lbs crawling thru a 20x24 opening, laying out cardboard {I love my chicks, but not overly fond of their poop) so I can crawl around. Last night was easy. They settled down right by the door so my husband handed them to me & I put them in the tractor from the people-sized door. Soon, we'll have a larger run and coop so decided to spend the extra money for a 6' tall run! One lives and learns!

LOL my youngsters drive me nuts too! All the older ones go in like clockwork in a timely fashion but the teenagers just have to stay out and watch the sun go down. They know I'm serious when I go get the baby net to herd them
smack.gif
I have a little butterfly net I use to catch chicks and even the adult birds pay attention when they see it because they remember being terrorized by it in the brooder! They're all way too big for it now, but it does extend my arm a bit.

LOL my youngsters drive me nuts too! All the older ones go in like clockwork in a timely fashion but the teenagers just have to stay out and watch the sun go down. They know I'm serious when I go get the baby net to herd them
smack.gif
I have a little butterfly net I use to catch chicks and even the adult birds pay attention when they see it because they remember being terrorized by it in the brooder! They're all way too big for it now, but it does extend my arm a bit.
I use one of those green, bamboo plant sticks. When I scratch that on the ground and they see that coming they KNOW "we have a failure to communicate" and they get in line.

Last edited:
LOL makes you wonder what they think when they see you coming!
I know mine think, when they see me, "Oh I hope it's bread, hope it's bread, hope it's bread.... etc... or at least some corn!!!"
When they see the chicken stick, they look at each other and say in their little chicken voices, "okay, who farted in the bathtub this time"?
Yesterday they all had a treat of cooked rice from the night before and some ends off a french bread loaf. They all run to the front of the pens whenever I walk in with something in my hands. They look like children with their noses pressed against a window when the ice cream truck is slowly passing by. I swear they can hear a plastic bread bag before I leave the house! The birds on the ground quite literally start jumping up and down. They "peel out" from wherever they are to get to the bread.

Back
Top Bottom