IA here

Hey everyone!
I figured this be the best place to ask us Iowans :). Looking to buy feed in bulk. Anyone recommend a place? I live between Cedar Rapids and Waterloo if that helps :)
Buffalo Bay in Coggon does my mix. You can talk to Pat and ask her about my mix. I'm Trish Dusil.

I have 4 new hens. . 2 black australorpes, 1 buff brahma, and 1 white polish. . This week I have been getting a light cream/white egg, fairly good sized, a few days it's been so big I couldn't shut the egg carton (double yoke). Is that little polish laying that huge egg? I don't know alot about the polish, (my kids were w/me when I went to the hatchery in the spring and they couldn't resist those cute little chicks). Do they have a tendency toward broodiness? If so, I'd love to have more ( I have one hen and one roo), especially if they're going to lay a decent sized egg. . I figured that because of their smaller size, their eggs would be smaller. Anyone know much about them?

Thanks.

My australorps laid big eggs right from the beginning but it's not uncommon for pullets to lay double yokes at first until their system gets balanced out. MIne always out grow it, though now I have some 3 year old hens doing it again.
I don't know anything about Polish though, my only one was a rooster
roll.png

Last edited:
I had a hatchery polish. She usually laid 5 white eggs a week and they were medium to large. She loved to go broody, but was very easy to break, so I would not have trusted her to stay on the eggs til they hatched. I have only kept chickens for 3 years, and I have never had a chicken hatch out her own eggs-- so, I have no experience in that area. But, I have another hen who was very hard to break when she went broody, and even when not broody, she will sit on any eggs she finds in the nest box. Compared to the polish I had, this hen would probably do a good job. The polish are very funny birds, I enjoyed mine.

Anybody going to the swap south of Osage saturday or sunday ? I plan on taking some pigeons few pullets and a couple of trios of RUSSIAN ORLOFFS all young birds starting to lay

Hey all. For those of you that free range, how do you deter hawks? I had a coopers hawk take out a young bird yesterday. I didn't see the attack, but found the carcass. The hawk was seen again later in the day, with a friend. This morning one hawk returned, perching on the roof of the coop planning the next attack. I scared it off, but it came right back. I scared it off one more time and haven't seen it since. I have my chickens in a run for the most part, but it's not fully enclosed (no top). What are my options? Is aviary netting worth the price? Thanks in advance!

Hello from Ames, I am very new to backyard chickens. I thought 2 weeks ago it sounded interesting. Now I have a coop with run and 6 chickens.

Hey all. For those of you that free range, how do you deter hawks? I had a coopers hawk take out a young bird yesterday. I didn't see the attack, but found the carcass. The hawk was seen again later in the day, with a friend. This morning one hawk returned, perching on the roof of the coop planning the next attack. I scared it off, but it came right back. I scared it off one more time and haven't seen it since. I have my chickens in a run for the most part, but it's not fully enclosed (no top). What are my options? Is aviary netting worth the price? Thanks in advance!

I do have netting on my breeding pens and it's great. I have read you can run parallel strands of cord or wire across the top of your run to keep hawks from flying in. I'm not sure how close they need to be to be effective, but I bet you can find something in the predator's section on BYC. Your pen isn't too wide so you might be able to rig something up with PVC pipe and wire fencing. Good luck! I've heard once they start it's hard to get rid of them. I know it's true of fox and racoon! A coon stole one of my male muskovies out of his electric enclosure last night. They pushed the wire up against the shelter and climbed in. Fortunately he got away and I found him in the front yard. He's a little chewed but I think he's OK. I herded him back to his pen under his own power anyway. I'll have to rethink that arangement.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom