IBW...with Pics!

AprilAWZ

Songster
12 Years
Nov 28, 2007
northeastern MN
Well, here we go! I moved my Black/blue Ameraucanas and Blue Orps from Cyn (Speckledhen) and Barred Rocks from Lisa (Dipsy Doodle Doo) to the hatcher today...sleep deprivation, here I come!!!

I've had insanely good luck with these eggs so far. Both batches were shipped beautifully, with not a crack in sight, so they were already off to a great start by the time they got here. Out of the 9 eggs I got from Cyn, 7 are in the hatcher, and 12 of Lisa's original 14 eggs are in the hatcher. That's comparable with I'd get with my own eggs! But anyway, since it will be a little while until I get pips, I thought I'd share some "office" pics for your viewing pleasure.
pop.gif

This is my incubator room. I took over a large upstairs closet and "pimped" it for the 'bators. Can you believe some people actually waste this kind of space on clothes?
ep.gif

MyOffice.jpg

This is a picture of the actual incubator set-up. I'm in the middle of transfering the eggs in this shot. The two brooders below are where the new babies learn the ropes (ie, what the feeders and waterers are for) before they go out to the bigger brooders in my goat milking room. Disregard the dirty one on the left, I should have cleaned that yesterday, but I was baby-ing a couple of chicks that had a rough hatch...they're doing good now!
TheBatorRoom.jpg

And, as always, Emma has to dote on her "baaaay-beeees". For a retriever, she sure is protective over the munchins while they are in the house!
TheBabysitter.jpg

So yeah, that's where I'm at right now. I'll be parked up in "the office" for the next three days with my camera, and with that in mind, I'd like to take this opportunity to appologise to everyone with dial-up...been there, done that!
caf.gif
he.gif

Great set up. Hey, I took over a whole room
big_smile.png
I have 11 chicks in my plastic storage brooder too. George the cat really wants to get to KNOW them better too, but he's been exiled out of that room.
big_smile.png

I'd suggest you get a recliner in there.
gig.gif

Thanks all, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Yeah, a recliner would be nice. Right now, the best I can do is a foam camp mattress in the hallway...
tongue.gif
The closet works quite nicely, though. Hubby is suportive/cooperative with my chick hatching obsess...er..hobby, but I figured that the whole "out of sight, out of mind" thing might work in my favor to keep it that way...it's not like he's up there keeping track of what's going on in the 'bators, ya know...I could hatch one batch a season, or 50...
jumpy.gif

If Emma had her way, she's post herself right in the closet by the brooders. When I had a shipment of hatchery chicks in the house for a few days earlier this month, she parked herself right by the brooder in the living room and only left for bathroom and food breaks, and the occasional game of "stuffed duck keep-away". At our last place, she would actually break up fights between a particularly stupid BO rooster and one of the Bourbon Red hens. I guess she's a girl of extremes...when we taught her not to chase the very first chicks we raised way back when, she took that to mean "protect them with your life!", and has been doing so ever since!

I am insanely happy about your babies today, April! Scout and Silver's new owner, Sara, emailed me that Silver did lay an egg today, no adjustment period necessary-and it's Sara's very first egg, too, then one of her Marans laid one after Silver, the first from her birds. That made my day and now to hear how well your hatch is going..well, I sure am glad you posted about it. And what a nice setup you have in the closet! Where's the, um, er, 'facilities, LOL?! You will have to come out of there for brief periods of time, I believe.
gig.gif

Quote:
The veiw from the office door...
TheFacilities.jpg

ep.gif
lau.gif

Sorry!! I couldn't resist! Yeah, I think I like my lil' office. lol! Now I just need one of those little hotel room coffee makers, and I'll be set!

That's too cool that your girls transitioned so nicely...I don't know if there is a better feeling than knowing your babes are thriving at their new home under the care of a good mama, especially considering how tricky integrating new birds can be sometimes. On that note, I just hope your Georgia babies don't irritated with this SD weather...but then, compared to what you've been getting lately...is there a difference? lol!

*gotta remember to delete the "facility" pic from photobucket before Mom and Dad see it and think I've lost even more marbles....
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom