Ice Cream Bars

I only have two chicks so far. They seem to be auto sexed. One hen and one roo.
currently there are 9 eggs in the incubator. The eggs were shipped. The package was delayed and all but two air cells are detached. :( Looks like despite all that there are veins starting in a few of them.(a few hours shy of day three).

Your Roo is beautiful!! I'm debating if I should keep my Cream Legbar cockrel (4 weeks) or my Ice Cream roo (also 4 weeks)

I haven't found a way to sex the blues and blacks. The chipmunks can be sexed depending on how dark the stripe is. But if you only have one, then it would be difficult to compare. I've had 3 chipmunks in a hatch and the girl's back was considerably darker than the other two. But the two boys, one was darker than the other. I have 2 cuckoo in this last hatch and while one is definitely a cockerel, the other one looks more feminine, so it keeps me guessing. I suspect any barred/cuckoo are boys.

The solid black in the first picture is a pullet. There was a solid blue that was a pullet and was taken by a hawk. That seems to be a favorite hawk color. as I've lost several blue birds to hawks. This group seems to be molting and the colors are changing on some. But boys are boys and I can only keep one, which will be the light colored one, and he was the only chipmunk as a chick.

Hello. I just wanted to check in with a couple of questions. First of all, have anyone's ICB's had blue or bluish legs? I believe I accidentally incubated some CL eggs from hens running with my Isbars and they have blue legs. If so then here are my two ICB's. If not then what on earth are these gorgeous chickens?? They lay beautiful blue eggs.

BTW, their main traits are the pretty eggs, being so thrifty and excellent foragers, and not liking to be confined. They have a third of an acre they share with thirty some other hens but that's just not good enough. They must to check my flower beds daily for whatever might have crawled in there since the day before. They just sail across the fence like its nothing, even though I clipped their wings then clipped them closer! As close as they can be clipped! And they have such an air about themselves. Little princesses. Oh well if anyone thinks an ICB can look like these ill be breeding more of them. I have another question though. How many generations would I need to breed before I can offer their eggs for sale? Thanks for any input. I'm completely new to chicken breeding. I've hatched but am not knowledgeable about genetics. Here's my Roos and some hens.

I haven't found a way to sex the blues and blacks. The chipmunks can be sexed depending on how dark the stripe is. But if you only have one, then it would be difficult to compare. I've had 3 chipmunks in a hatch and the girl's back was considerably darker than the other two. But the two boys, one was darker than the other. I have 2 cuckoo in this last hatch and while one is definitely a cockerel, the other one looks more feminine, so it keeps me guessing. I suspect any barred/cuckoo are boys.

The solid black in the first picture is a pullet. There was a solid blue that was a pullet and was taken by a hawk. That seems to be a favorite hawk color. as I've lost several blue birds to hawks. This group seems to be molting and the colors are changing on some. But boys are boys and I can only keep one, which will be the light colored one, and he was the only chipmunk as a chick.

Have you not yet learned the Mountain State Cure for hawks?
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom