Icelandic Chickens

What does this feather abnormality look like? I haven't been keeping up with this thread and didn't realize there was an "issue". I had six Icelandic chicks, out of twenty four eggs, hatch yesterday. Had I known about this I wouldn't have bought the eggs.
Your money has been refunded. Next time you might want do more research. The feathering issue with Icelandics has been under discussion for years, not just on BYC and my website, but Facebook and Yahoo groups as well.

Regarding your only hatching six chicks, I have not had an infertile egg in over a year. Perhaps the package received rough handling by the post office or there was a problem with incubation. In either event, if you were unhappy the polite thing to do would have been to contact me via PM and let me know.

Enjoy your Icelandics. They are wonderful birds.

Mary

My Broody-Buster currently has 5 residents. They are on day 4 today. I went outside to do chores and noticed one hen (a Delaware F1 Project) hunched down in the corner. I checked her. Someone in there decided they were no longer broody............. and laid an egg! She was sitting on it. On a concrete floor.
gig.gif
I have found that the perfect solution to broody busting is to want a broody!! I even made a nice little broody condo in the barn where they could be in peace... so far this year, I am 1 of 5 broodies that stayed broody.. I have a BLRW on turkey eggs.. she is sitting tight and is almost 1/2 way.. everyone else has quit being broody immediately upon being moved or within 2-3 days.. Even the two icelandics didn't stay broody.. This last one I thought was going to do well but she quit on her eggs after 2 days...

I'm concerned about my roos tail feathers, I thought he was just young, but they kind of look odd.... hes 7 months old. I got him from sandhill preservation center and was saving him to breed to Mary not a farms chicks...but maybe I shouldn't?

Rscuda: It is where the feathers look really messed up.Here is an example:

Last edited:
I have found that the perfect solution to broody busting is to want a broody!! I even made a nice little broody condo in the barn where they could be in peace... so far this year, I am 1 of 5 broodies that stayed broody.. I have a BLRW on turkey eggs.. she is sitting tight and is almost 1/2 way.. everyone else has quit being broody immediately upon being moved or within 2-3 days.. Even the two icelandics didn't stay broody.. This last one I thought was going to do well but she quit on her eggs after 2 days...

I've had the same problem, as soon as I move them to a secure place they quit or they quit a week or two in!

Hi Joy........and everyone!!
It looks to me like your cockerel is having his tail feathers pulled at by someone.....is he in a pen with other cockerels or roosters? My rooster chases and pulls at the tail feathers of the younger males when they come around the hens.

That might be it...he was the youngest hanging with my laying flock, so that may have happened...thanks maybe I'm getting a little paranoid! lol

Back
Top Bottom