Icelandic Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Sheriff, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm still not convinced that one is a boy. It could go either way. Glad it's feeling better.

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Laree, I have never seen feathered feet on an Icelandic. Occasionally light feather on the shanks, but I have never heard of feathered feet. Hmm........[​IMG]

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Funny you just mentioned Barn Girl, as I was just about to ask about her! So glad to hear she is recovering well.

Mean Ginger made sure that Blondie stays there. Really, she likes the little fellow and didn't want him to go.

Congratulations, Kelly! Hope the girls are good for ya!

Only 101* right now at 7PM. My flock is coming in from the timber now. They get locked up before 9PM.

Caught coon #5 last night.

4. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    Well, I have had my first predator loss.. night before last something, I think a coon, got one of my blue cochin roos and my white ameraucana hen out of the oldest pen.. still not sure how as the blue was inside the pen right in the middle and the white one was outside the pen halfway up the hill.. We added another layer of wire and secured everything... set a live trap and crossed our fingers.. Well today.. all the oldest ones were fine, something had dinner in the live trap, tripped it but it didn't shut all the way. and something got my little black icelandic pullet in the fort knox pen.. [​IMG] again, not sure how as she was inside the pen and not close to the side.. That pen has 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the bottom 3 feet and then a 2x4 mesh on the top four feet and on the top of the pen.. I reset the trap and hope it catches whatever it is tonight.. If I lose another bird, I think I'll be taking Porter out every night and just stake him on a cable by the pens until I can get the fence finished.. We are probably three weeks out on the fence being finished.. everything is ordered and the last part will be here next week.. Hopefully I won't have any more losses.. [​IMG]

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    So sorry Shawn. I'll bet you will be glad to get that fence up. I know I was to the point I pulled the contractor off completion of the barn to do the fence. I just hate when I can't keep them safe from harm. I hope this is the end of losses for you and it is all gains from here on out!

Mary

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:good grief Mrs kathy thats terrible esp for yall way up north thats hot for here but we're more used to it and so are the animals I'm sure glad you've got the woods for those guys to retreat to during the high sun angles of the day, sheesh

good deal on coon #5 hope your able to stay on top of the critter invasion here lately it has to be that they too are suffering/stressed to from the daytime heat I know they have picked up here too but so far the dogs have been able to ward them off but Im sure they will get braver outta desperation before long tho'

Jeff

7. Chicken Coach

Chicken Coach Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    [​IMG]We are keeping cool the best we can.

8. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Drive-by posting.....

Mary, I candled and it looks like 8 of the bumper car eggs are developing. [​IMG]

9. Chicken Coach

Chicken Coach Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Not a drive by.More of a drop in. I finally got the pic thing frigged out. Mary will be proud of me.

10. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    New thread:

What are the majority of the combs on your Icelandics ?

I am running about half Rose Combs, the Single Combs are in the minority for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by