Icelandic Chickens

You must have heard me asking if anyone had news about you. Delighted & relieved that you posted for us Jake - oh happy day!!
wee.gif

Hi, Icelandic fanatics! I still read here from time to time. To Mary: I may still end up having Icelandics in the future. I've been participating in discussions on Marek's and disease resistance in general on other threads and upon reading repeatedly that the Egyptian Fayoumi is highly resistant to Marek's and other diseases, was jerked right back to your Icelandics in my head. I saw that someone had an Icelandic cockerel they thought for a moment might have Marek's, but it seems that it was an injury. Not that the Fayoumis and Icelandics are that much alike, but they've had little to no human intervention in their truest form and I am thinking long and hard about a shift in the birds I keep in the future. So, I'm back to reading here a bit. Thinking about keeping a wilder, more independent type bird, though not sure when that would happen yet. Too many unanswered questions. Okay, sorry, I'm rambling.

Some of the Icelandics' resemblance to some crossbreed hens I used to own also pulls me in. They were absolute treasures and I miss those little hens, though they had nothing in common with Icelandics other than their overall looks.

Hi, Jake, seems you've been AWOL from the thread. Hope things are looking up for you now.

Now, Mary is going to call me a lurker again.
tongue.png
Maybe I'll forget chickens and get guineas again, the ultimate wild and crazy bird.

Last edited:
do you think those wilder breeds may have a stronger resistance to Mareks????

I'm not sure about them all, no, but the Egyptian Fayoumi does, per numerous articles, which is one reason it was brought to the U.S. to test its genetics for clues. Seems logical to me that it cannot be the only one.

Here is one such blurb:

Quote: It drew me back to the Icelandics, the thought that there might be a similarity. Of course, I never leave DH out of decisions, though he says they're my chickens. Yeah, right. They think differently.

Last edited:
You all are sweet, here I are in all my me. I can sit now to type, which is a major welcome change. I have problems that used to be just words I heard but didnt relate to, several other things but the back is the main problem, its now being managed, but I know my limits of how far to push it. Life goes on.

I have a small flock yet which will be divided into two flocks, and will have one spare rooster. My rate of RCs and Crests is improving, many(comparatively) have both, and just one SC in the flock. I am going to be moving within the month, but still within this area. Hoping for a place just down the road, there the chickens can roam days.

One trait I still want to add to the flock is the feathered legs, dont have any right now. And will be selecting for the biggest roosters as we go along. The small ones can go to pet homes.

Fun reading the older posts. Like looking at home pictures.
thumbsup.gif
Welcome back Jake!

Alright everyone we are in lock down!! Temp and humidity are perfect. I ended up with 15 out of 18 eggs that were fertile and developed. I thought that was pretty darn good for shipped eggs. (Whippoorwill Farms) Should start hatching about WEDNESDAY. Ill update as soon as something happens.

Alright everyone we are in lock down!! Temp and humidity are perfect. I ended up with 15 out of 18 eggs that were fertile and developed. I thought that was pretty darn good for shipped eggs. (Whippoorwill Farms) Should start hatching about WEDNESDAY. Ill update as soon as something happens.
fl.gif
Sending good hatching vibes your way!

Back
Top Bottom