Icelandic Chickens

Congratulations on your Icelandic hatch ! What a dandy batch of color they are. The Ameracauna are lovely too. Our clutch of Icelandics from Whippoorwill Farms is just starting to pip. We have 3 on the way and they are singing the hatch peep as I type this. After seeing your pics deputychicken21 we are counting the seconds until we are able to post pics of our newbies ! In other news , 7 of our own Delaware ( 4 under our brood Delaware and 3 from the incubator) have hatched and one more just pipping. We put all of them under the brood hen for the last few days and it's going great. We have been pleasantly surprised by our Delaware that we got from Welp last fall in that they are actually every bit as good a bird as they are reported to be and then some. Tough and cold hardy , good layers , easy keepers as well as meaty and moderately quick growing. They make the grade for our Montana farm whereas several others have not. We are anxious to see if the Icelandics live up to their reputation as well.

Thats awesome!! I can't wait to see them. I have been wanting Icelandics for a long time and finally decided to get my feet wet. I don't have any Delaware but wouldn't mind getting some they look like great chickens. BEST OF LUCK WITH THE HATCH!!!

4 HATCHED SO FAR ! And 2 more pipping this morning. I can't tell you what a relief it is ... No , wait. I imagine a lot of poultry keepers who hatch at home have that same anguish and worry. I suppose it's akin to the feeling we have when our kids are finally born and they have all their toes and fingers. Woooo ! Now we just wait to see how much of the clutch will struggle from the egg to meet the world.

4 HATCHED SO FAR ! And 2 more pipping this morning. I can't tell you what a relief it is ... No , wait. I imagine a lot of poultry keepers who hatch at home have that same anguish and worry. I suppose it's akin to the feeling we have when our kids are finally born and they have all their toes and fingers. Woooo ! Now we just wait to see how much of the clutch will struggle from the egg to meet the world.
Great, congratulations!

Looked out the window and what did I see?
Bad pullet, bad!

lau.gif

Has anyone NOT had a cockerel-heavy hatch with the Icelandics? Just wondering.
Knock on wood, but my hatches so far have leaned towards the pullet side. The last hatch I had I think is 2 possibly 3 cockerels out of 9 chicks. I did have only one hatch from some eggs I got and that one was a cockerel. A beautiful one, at that! The rest have been my eggs.

Back
Top Bottom