Icelandic Chickens

I have been very good about not hatching too many chicks for myself. I am hoping that when 90% of the flock goes broody in February, I can stick a bunch of Icelandic and Aloha eggs under them.

Because I am seriously not in the mood for
1-dealing with broodies who wont break
2-Raising more chicks in the house.

Though the chickens are nicer when I hand raise them. Hmm...tradeoffs.

Laree, If I was down there where the temps were mild, I'd be in serious trouble.......the cold weather (and the DH) keep my flock numbers in check!

Mary ! Give Kleo some eggs !

Laree hand raising pays off, the 3 Featherlegs are taming real nice here in the cabin. The bigger guy is learning to crow, when he hears the guys outside crowing, its funny, but he is trying.
yippiechickie.gif

The middle guy with the frayed feathers is looking interesting, he has just the one obvious frayed long tail feather sticking out yet, but his overal feathering is looking much more to me like the Hedemora, fluffier, few if any obvious fraying, just lighter feathering that gives him a more fluffed up look. I was going to rehome him, but now am going to see how he develops further, of the 3 he has the smallest comb and wattles. Which I want, so, time will tell, meanwhile as Mary said they are really spoiled, getting left over cat food, scrambled eggs and turkey starter they are growing very well. I may try sprouting some grass see also.

The hens are laying well , usually 100% per hen now, lots of scrambled eggs for all and passing on some to the good neighbors a couple times a week.

Life is good, and better with Icelandic Chickens !
thumbsup.gif

I prefer broody hatching too Laree. But I promised Mary a test hatch of the Isbar eggs. All those other eggs snuck in there. Can't have a bator with only 7 eggs now, can we?

Congrats Farmerboy! And good luck Other Mary on the drastic measures.

Happy Chooks,how are you going to tell the Icelands from the others? Thats the one problem with hatching them with other eggs,especially cros bred eggs. Its best to set them with a pure breed of distict color or markings so there is no chance of blending in new blood into your icelandics. Sorry didn't mean to rain on your parade,if you are not interested in keeping the ices pure its no problem.

Quote:
There's no more room here for another breeding program, so I won't be keeping the roosters - just the hens for broodies of my other breeds. I'm currently working with Welsummers and Barnevelders. The Icelandics will remain pure, but I won't be breeding them. (the eggs came from Mary with the Isbar eggs - the only ones that are from my flock are the wellie and barnie eggs plus 1 mutt egg) No mixing going on here except my light brahma egg (covered by my wellie rooster).

Hi all. I've been busy (and so, it seems, have you!) thinking about Icelandics. I ran across the ICPA website the other day. Mary,am I correct in assuming that you've gone from warden to sherriff, and are the contact for the ICPA?

Thanks very much, I appreciate it. I realized after I posted that a PM might have been more appropriate. I'll keep any further questions about the org. off of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom