Idaho?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by pawtraitart, Jun 8, 2007.

1. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Yep! I have black copper marans, golden cuckoo marans, black tail buff marans, olive egger, and bantam cochin eggs in the bator. Oh, and I just got an order for jumbo coturnix quail so those will get started tomorrow. It's a bit early for me to start hatching.........but I'm glad that hatching season has arrived. I'll have peeping babies for Christmas!

2. Daloorashens

Daloorashens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    Me too!! I set some eggs for the New Years day hatchalong... candling tonite to see how they look yippee!!

Rolo... love your pics!!

3. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Awesome!!

4. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Be warned..........I'll be posting some incredibly cute pictures after Christmas when we welcome a new puppy to our little farm! She's a mini aussie named Chinook. So excited!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  5. ROLOIdaho

ROLOIdaho Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Emmett, Idaho
    Thanks Daloorashens

6. Daloorashens

Daloorashens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    Ahhh... LOVE puppies!!! Are you using it to herd?

7. BandofBantams

BandofBantams Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    I'm curious about everyone's plans for your hatching eggs? Are you increasing your flock? Or selling chicks/pullets? Meat birds? I would like to hatch some eggs but first I need a plan, so I can justify it to my DH. Also, what do you do w/ unwanted roosters? Do you cull them as chicks or raise them as meat birds. I raised 11 chicks this spring but then had to re-home 4 roosters (3polish & 1 Americana), but I kept my White Silkie rooster. I live in a county subdivision w/ no chicken restriction (we use the common courtesy approach) but I promised my neighbor when I okay'd it at our HO meeting I wouldn't have roosters. My White Silkie rarely crows & then it's in the coop because he wants out. Technically he breaks my promise but I can't get rid of him, he's a favorite. Anyway, I'm intrigued by the genetics, so I may hatch some from my frizzles, but I will have to get another rooster, since I've read a lot about the Silkie/Frizzle combo being bad. I would appreciate any information you can give me.

8. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Yes, hopefully she will be able to help me with my ducks and hair sheep. We tried to train a heeler/aussie mix last year but she was terrified of sheep! We found her a family home and then started searching for a breeder that raised dogs with strong herding instinct. Hopefully our little Chinook has the right stuff!
    I try to NOT increase my flock........but I end up keeping more than I intended for one reason or another. I'll be retiring quite a few hens this year to make room for new pullets. I hatch to sell both chicks and started pullets. Grown out cockerals end up in freezer camp by Fall. Males out of my super early hatches will be given away, though, because my cockeral grow-out pens are housing my spare roosters over the winter. I need to extend my main coop!

9. ROLOIdaho

ROLOIdaho Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Emmett, Idaho
    I do about the same as Pawtraitart. I sell chicks and Pullets and the extra roosters fill my freezer every year. Really it's all about advancing and improving the line of birds I have. I am working with a breed that typically has alot of issues (Marans) and it's very interesting to me to try and breed to the SOP and to see improvements in the flock from generation to generation.

10. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Marans......issues? Nahhhhhhhhhh LOL....yes, they are a roller coaster ride sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by