Idaho?

Separating her is best. It looks like the egg has part of her insides wrapped around the egg. I would say take her to an emergency vet, but would they know how to treat that? It is hard enough to find a vet that treats chickens as it is. Do you think you can see if it is something you could work on, such as try to free the egg and get the membrane back inside her?

I ended up using gloves and alcohol and made a small incision where there was minimal blood vessels and rotated the egg and worked it out. I had to do something, she was in so much pain...she seems relieved now and we'll see how she does overnight. I used preperation H and gently worked everything inside. The egg was sideways and I wonder if that was the problem maybe the egg rotated. I have her seperated and I'll keep and eye on if anything starts coming out again. It was the best I could think of, there was no way that egg would have broke through that membrane and with it being sideways I couldn't push it back in. I will post updates on how she is doing.

Not chicken related but I wanted to put this out there.

Hailey/Ketchum area all the way up to Galina Peak is at risk right now with the Beaver Creek fire. Last I looked over 2000 people were being evacuated. There is a lot of horse people up there, a lot of people with cattle. I want to offer my help, but I don't want to offer a blanket statement to anyone and everyone. This sounds terrible, but there are a lot of people up there with multi million dollar animals. I want to offer my short pasture to someone who might need a place for their animals, but I don't want someone to take me up on the offer that is going to bring down a horse that costs more than my house and trucks put together and sue me if their livestock gets a scratch. What do I do?

I can take in maybe 5-6 horses or cattle. I'm not fenced for sheep, goats, or llamas. I do have a large pen that could house maybe one large, or two smaller pigs. I don't mind if someone wanted to bring down their own panels and set up fencing for them. I have three steers and two horses, a ton of chickens, and my own dogs and cats. None of their animals would be able to have contact with mine with the way my fences are set up.

I'm all hotwire and tee posts. They would have to bring their own water troughs, but I can run hoses to supply water. They have to bring hay too, since I haven't put in this year's hay yet. There is enough grass to support a few animals for two/three weeks.

Do any of you here, know anyone up there that needs help?

That is WONDERFUL of you to offer to help!!

There is a Facebook page where you can post an offer of help on the Events section. It looks like you would need to add the Idaho fire as an Event first & then add your offer.
https://www.facebook.com/HorseEvacuationsEast

You could also possibly try calling one of the local fire departments.

I know anyone with animals that you can help would be so grateful.

Not chicken related but I wanted to put this out there.

Hailey/Ketchum area all the way up to Galina Peak is at risk right now with the Beaver Creek fire. Last I looked over 2000 people were being evacuated. There is a lot of horse people up there, a lot of people with cattle. I want to offer my help, but I don't want to offer a blanket statement to anyone and everyone. This sounds terrible, but there are a lot of people up there with multi million dollar animals. I want to offer my short pasture to someone who might need a place for their animals, but I don't want someone to take me up on the offer that is going to bring down a horse that costs more than my house and trucks put together and sue me if their livestock gets a scratch. What do I do?

I can take in maybe 5-6 horses or cattle. I'm not fenced for sheep, goats, or llamas. I do have a large pen that could house maybe one large, or two smaller pigs. I don't mind if someone wanted to bring down their own panels and set up fencing for them. I have three steers and two horses, a ton of chickens, and my own dogs and cats. None of their animals would be able to have contact with mine with the way my fences are set up.

I'm all hotwire and tee posts. They would have to bring their own water troughs, but I can run hoses to supply water. They have to bring hay too, since I haven't put in this year's hay yet. There is enough grass to support a few animals for two/three weeks.

Do any of you here, know anyone up there that needs help?
It's awesome for you to offer assistance. I think that the smart thing to do would be to setup a boarding contract and "waive" the fee. This is for the benefit for both you and the folks leaving horses in your care. Put on there everyone's contact numbers, the description of each animal, and the parameters of your offer. Example....if an animal gets sick or injured...who is going to cover the costs? What if they are at your place a long time and run out of hay? Sadly there are a lot of people dumping horses because of feed prices and you don't want to be stuck with a bunch of animals. You also don't want to get stuck with a bunch of vet bills in the case that one of the animals has issues. On the flip side, with something in writing the owners would have assurance that their animals will be well cared for.

I am in Utah but head to Idaho frequently....have a Mottled Houdans roo for sale, can go with one pullet if needed for breeding. Here is the ad with pics if anyone may be interested? I need to get him rehomed pretty quick, need the room in their smaller pen for a couple Polish pullets that are getting punished for poor eyesight by my other layers in the main run. They make cute chicks, see my avatar ? :D :

https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=26519807&cat=113

I also have a gorgeous SQ Silkie cockerel, 3 1/2 months old, fluffy white, the pics on the ad are older but I can post one if anyone is interested. I go visit the Blackfoot/Idaho Falls area.

Last edited:
ISO - My daughter started 4-H in May... She was able to get all of her stuff done so she could go to fair with her chickens... She did incredible... placed 2nd in Junior/Novice showmanship and went on to place 3rd in Junior Grand/Reserve... But we are trying to find her some Quality Bantams for fair next year... I'm thinking a Cochin, silkies, or polish... I was wondering if anyone near the Meridian/Boise area had any they were willing to sell to an Awesome 4-H kiddo... I appreciate the help in advance... even if someone could help me get in touch with someone who might be able to help... Thanks everyone!

I have a question for all the ppl in here you all are so helpful , do any of you have any pictures of chicken lice or fleas I have one hen that seems to attract some kind of bugs and they get bad before I see she has them. I have the powder that D&B told me to use , I put it on all the hens and in their house and nest boxes , and in their fav. Dusting holes actually all their dusting holes. they seem to go away for about 4 weeks and then the one hen has them all over again. I just don't know what to do as I can not keep the chickens away from wild birds or squirrels. Kinda at my wits ends. any help would be appreciated ty

ISO - My daughter started 4-H in May... She was able to get all of her stuff done so she could go to fair with her chickens... She did incredible... placed 2nd in Junior/Novice showmanship and went on to place 3rd in Junior Grand/Reserve... But we are trying to find her some Quality Bantams for fair next year... I'm thinking a Cochin, silkies, or polish... I was wondering if anyone near the Meridian/Boise area had any they were willing to sell to an Awesome 4-H kiddo... I appreciate the help in advance... even if someone could help me get in touch with someone who might be able to help... Thanks everyone!

Are you looking for females only?

Back
Top Bottom