Idea for dealing with political & armageddon threads

Quote:
I am a member of a forum that has a section where politics and religion is encouraged. Only the paid members get to see that section(to keep the kids out). The people in the members only section are actually a tighter nit group believe it or not. They debate for weeks on some threads and still come out friends.

Ah, big difference there is that its a bunch of PAYING members. They have more stake in the site and are debating things out nicer since they are paying for the account and messing up = paying for a new one.

Messing up does not equal paying for a new one. When you get banned thats it. No new screen names or they ban your IP. You don't have to pay it just equals less ads and an extra section basically.

Quote:
I am a member of a forum that has a section where politics and religion is encouraged. Only the paid members get to see that section(to keep the kids out). The people in the members only section are actually a tighter nit group believe it or not. They debate for weeks on some threads and still come out friends.

i don't doubt in the slightest that forums exist where religions and politics can be discussed w/o an all out flame war taking place. that said, it's been my own experience that when politics, religion, or other very personal topics come up for debate, the flame throwers inevitably come out.

to be honest, if politics and/or religion do get discussed, i am very much for a separate area of the forum for such discussions,and i will exercise my own discretion by avoiding said area at all costs. i can only imagine the headache such a section will be to moderate, and offer my sincere condolences to the moderating team if such a section were to be formed.

LCRT,
yep there are people who get banned and return, banned and return, attempting to use different user names and IP's. the forum i moderate at usually catches repeat offenders, but the wilier ones are savvy enough to get around our filters. they kinda scare me! *quivers*

Quote:
i don't know about this forum, since i'm an egg LOL but where i mod? yup. people get banned.

Quote:
Only the REAL bad eggs.

sofa.gif

JennsPeeps -- You should apply for the title of Resident Scatologist.
wink.png

Well, I have to say it is nice to hear what a cross-section of what I would consider down-to-earth people feel and think about current events. I don't have a problem reading whatever you all can dish out. I find everyone's input interesting.

Back
Top Bottom