Idea for keeping chickens COOL in outrageous HEAT!! Update w/ PICTURE!

My husband has been running fans outside of our chicken pens. Some of the larger pullets have been standing in front of the fans with their wings spread out to let the air get under there better. It's kind of funny to watch them. They seem to enjoy the fans because they will all gather near them. It has been around 102 here this past week, so we were worried about them getting overheated.

and another thing, if you dont have trash cans, cardboard boxes are great too as they are self insulated :) Also, hanging frozen 2 leiter (spelling) bottles around the coop works for a bit espacially in the eve....

Really like the cardboard box idea but is this just too cruel?!
D.gif

25641_105_0575.jpg

Love the box.
Hey if they are willing to eat cooked chicken the box should be just fine. LOL

I love the trash can idea. I will try that next time it gets uber hot up here.

For dogs. Try chopping off the top of a milk jug and filing it with toys. Then fill it with water and freeze. Take it out on a hot day for the dogs to enjoy.

Should keep the dogs cool and entertained.

That's a good idea too...bet I could soak and freeze a couple of the rope toys they like so much...the things we do for these little ones.
love.gif

It's working
big_smile.png
I put a larger cardboard box out in the coop with some ice packs and I also put a one gallon jug in the coop in the middle of the floor and it feels pretty darn cool in there now compared to outside temps of 92 and we are having NO breezes which really stinks! Thanks for this tip!

Sooooooo glad I read this post!

I was thinking of using the icepacks, but not sure they would work and I was worried about condensation making the litter wet.
Putting the icepacks in a dish towel should soak up some of the wet, and putting them in a box will really make that a cool spot.

Now to find a box large enough for my 5 girls.....

Thanks for all these great ideas! My little 6 week olds were panting so much yesterday. I'm going to take the lid off an old cooler and use it for the trash can idea. And thanks for the tip about watering down the run - I wasn't sure if it was ok for them to be in the mud. I bet they'll have fun with that this afternoon when it's 100 degrees out.

Back
Top Bottom