Idea for keeping chickens COOL in outrageous HEAT!! Update w/ PICTURE!

Heres another idea i got from the backyard poultry magizine..

Ok so instead of throwing out your waterbottles just fill them up half way and put them in the freezer until they are rock soild. then add then to the inside of the waterer and place in a shady area. This will keep them cool and hydrated!

That's what I have been doing and it works great!!!!!!!​

Quote:
That's what I have been doing and it works great!!!!!!!

I do the same thing and it works great! I also do this in the brooder box as well even when its not hot outside....The heat lamps make the water hot so fast I feel like im just asking for bacteria to grow in there even though its changed everyday and sometimes more. Keeps it nice and cool for them

Has anyone had any sucess with getting their chickens to play in a kid's swimming pool? I heard some guy talking about putting one of his hens into the adult pool with them (on the radio) and he said that the hen just sort of bobbled along and rather enjoyed it.

Seeing my kids are all grown and my dog is rather indifferent to water, I don't see a lot of sense in going out and buying a kiddie pool if it's a unless venture....it's just to nasty hot here in Kentucky this week.

We have been putting frozen bottles into the waterers and using the "chicken gatorade" electrolytes in their water, as well as a fan in the coop at night to remove the hot air. So far we have not had any ill effects, but I still worry about my buffies.
sad.png

Quote:
I had one in with my chickens at one time. They seemed to spend a lot of time sitting on the side of it and pooping in it and it was messy to dump out, clean and refill. I only put a couple of inches of water in it, but still. They were supposed to stand in it and cool off. Then it got small cracks in it from being dragged/dumped across rocks (lots of rocks here in Arizona), some of which I fixed with silicone, but now it is sitting unused with more cracks.

i put dirt in one, and dampen it, they love climbing in and playing in the mud.... helps them stay cool too, the pool has holes in it- so it was kind of recycling

we had a heat index of 110 yesterday afternoon, I was worried about my girls, the jr.s and Bird, so i took off work 1/2 day (I am so lucky some times) and went to check on them.

Frozen watermellon, ice in their water, cool damp dirt, frozen grapes. oh la la.... they were good to go. then i put the kiddie pool in put 3 inches of cool water in it and threw in their minimarshmallows! They wouldnt go near it. So I got in it on a stool and enticed them in... NOPE wouldnt come in. put one in, flew out. put Bird in with me, He ran quicker than a cat in water...
roll.png
oh well.

so, NO the kiddie pool doesnt work for mine.
BUT - i have a sand turtle box that i have in the shade. it is cool sand (from the rain and stuff) they LOVE that.

I have been going out every do many hours a day and spraying off the roof of the houses and trying my darndest to simulate rain. They seem better after I do it but I am not sure. I am trying the frozen 20oz bottles and also the trashcan Idea today as we are supposed to have it worse today then any of the other days.

Back
Top Bottom